1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census

Robert Kirkup born 1864 Manchester and wife Catherine Elizabeth born 1868 Manchester
    could anyone tell me if there are any children listed. They married in 1901 and are in the Prestwich registration district

Thank you
    PAT

By doing a free search on the 1911 census it appears that the following people are in the household.

KIRKUP CATHERINE E 1868
    KIRKUP EMMA 1895
    KIRKUP ERNEST 1907
    KIRKUP HARROLF 1903
    KIRKUP MARY ELIZABETH 1892

If you go to the Genes Reunited website and enter the above names, years of birth and Prestwich registration district into their 1911 free census search you should be able to find their places of birth,
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine . That is all I wanted to know
      PAT

Comment

A combination of free searches on 1911 and GR gives:
        Emma 16 Miles Platting
        Ernest 4 Manchester
        Harrolf (same on 1911 and GR!) 8 Manchester
        Mary Elizabeth 19 Ancoats

Robert is born Ardwick and Catherine is born Ancoats. Perhaps Emma and Mary Elizabeth are from a previous marriage. They should be around in 1901.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Snap!

Comment

Robert was married previously his first wife died in 1900 I just wanted to know if he had more children with Catherine
            PAT

Comment

Problem solved!

Comment

Lancs BMD (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/) has the 1901 marriage.

It may be worth noting that there's a Harold KIRKUP birth registered 1903q2 Manchester.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Excuse me for hijacking this thread slightly, but could some one explain in a little more detail how to combine the gr and the 1911 census to get results.

Thanks, Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                    Excuse me for hijacking this thread slightly, but could some one explain in a little more detail how to combine the gr and the 1911 census to get results.

Thanks, Sandra
                    You can get quite a lot of info from the free search on the 1911 census site. If you feed that into the GR 1911 search, you can (I am told) narrow down enough to determine PoB for your target names, as well. It's just a question of playing off one search against the other.

It's not the same as looking at the original image, and relies on the quality of the transcriptions.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                      Using this thread as an example.
                      Robert Kirkup born 1864 Manchester and wife Catherine Elizabeth born 1868 Manchester - Pat wanted to know if any children are listed.

Go to the 1911 website - http://www.1911census.co.uk/
                      Click the green "search" box, which takes you to the full search page.
                      Enter:
                      First name/ last name /year of birth + or -2 / place of birth
                      Robert / Kirkup / 1864 / Manchester

This gives you a result of one Robert Kirkup living in the Prestwich district.

Go back to the search page and enter;
                      Last name = Kirkup
                      Registration district = Prestwich

.. and in Other Members of the household - first name Robert, last name Kirkup.

So what you are asking is whether there any other Kirkups living with Robert Kirkup in the Prestwich registration district.

When you do this you will get the results shown in post #2.

You then go to Genes Reunited and on the SEARCH RECORDS tab, click CENSUS RECORDS -> 1911 CENSUS
                      Enter: first name / last name / year of birth (as found on 1911 census) / registration district
                      ... and you will find place of birth.

Have to say this only really works with the less uncommon surnames ... so if you are looking for Smiths then I would suggest you subscribe to Findmypast! :D
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Christine and Elaine. I shall go and have a play. However, it will be so much easier when ancestry gets the 1911 Census. I was hoping it would be readily available by now!!.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                        X