In two places at once ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In two places at once ?

Is it reasonably common to find the same person in 2 different places on the 1841 census ? I think I've got the same person twice.....once with his family & once at his "working address"....the lodgings he shared with other ag labs. Would it have been possible/likely for this to have happened or would it have been so unlikely that I'm probably looking at 2 different people of the same age with the same name ?

It is certainly possible. My gx2 grandfather is listed in two places in 1871. Once at home in St Ives with his wife and youngest children, and once with his daughter and her new husband in London .... they were married on the day of the census and he was a witness.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have quite a few examples of this - children listed as visiting grandparents but also recorded in the parental home. Husbands listed at home with wives but also in lodgings, often work related. Etc
      I'm quite happy to have them listed twice - it's the ones away from home and NOT listed anywhere that are aggravating.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'd second Janet, at least you've found him at all! I have a similar situation with a relative in 1901. She's newly married and is in her own home with her husband and newborn child, but is also listed at her parents address, as is another of her married siblings. I think the parents have misinterpreted and listed all their children, not just those living at home that night.

Kate x

Comment

One of the first things I came across in my family history reseach 20 years ago was people appearing in two places in the various censuses
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks.....I thought it probably happened fairly frequently

Comment

I've only got two examples - my gt x 3 grandmother Mary and her children are enumerated twice in 1841, once with husband and once with her parents - which was great as it confirmed her parentage for me.

Once with my gt grandfather, enumerated with his mother, wife and sons in a Norfolk village and also off Yarmouth on a fishing smack. Also useful as most fishermen are missed off the census if they were out at sea and I found him with his brother on the boat.

It's more usual for my lot NOT to be enumerated at all!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

my 2nd great grandparents listed all of their surviving children on the census. the 1st 4 had married, and the 5th was in service in a neaby village.

Comment

I have this as well
                  My Nan in 1901 as a servant in 2 different places !
                  How can this happen ?
                  Regards.......John

Comment

John

It would be quite unusual for a SERVANT to be listed in two different households at the same time, unless she had changed her job that day! Are you sure it's the same person?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      John

It would be quite unusual for a SERVANT to be listed in two different households at the same time, unless she had changed her job that day! Are you sure it's the same person?

OC
                      I am not 100% sure, but It's the same name with the same year and place of birth ?
                      1901 Census Jane Vincent Class: RG13; Piece: 320; Folio: 109; Page: 29.
                      1901 Census Jane Vincent Class: RG13; Piece: 155; Folio: 15; Page: 22.
                      Ancestry have a transcription error on one of the entries but both are fine on FMP.
                      Regards......John

Comment

Originally posted by john_harvey View Post
                        I am not 100% sure, but It's the same name with the same year and place of birth ?
                        1901 Census Jane Vincent Class: RG13; Piece: 320; Folio: 109; Page: 29.
                        1901 Census Jane Vincent Class: RG13; Piece: 155; Folio: 15; Page: 22.
                        Ancestry have a transcription error on one of the entries but both are fine on FMP.
                        Regards......John
                        Jane in the first entry is shown as aged 16, a boarder in the household, born Limehouse with occupation wood chopper, presumably working for the head of the household who was a wood chopper (employer). Jane in the second one 15, and a servant in the household, born London. With all the differences I very much doubt whether they both refer to the same girl.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                          Jane in the first entry is shown as aged 16, a boarder in the household, born Limehouse with occupation wood chopper, presumably working for the head of the household who was a wood chopper (employer). Jane in the second one 15, and a servant in the household, born London. With all the differences I very much doubt whether they both refer to the same girl.
                          Your probably correct of course, although Jane was born Limehouse.
                          I had pretty much dismissed the one at the pub.
                          Thanks...... John

Comment

Working...
                          X