No announcement yet.

Searching 1911 for ex Army / Navy? might need to look for surname, PENSIONER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching 1911 for ex Army / Navy? might need to look for surname, PENSIONER

I submitted a correction to FMP. Quite correctly, they feel the need to record exactly what was entered in the name slot on the form: John Bailey Navy Pensioner. The manner of the writing makes it pretty obvious that the words "Navy Pensioner" were added afterwards.

This means that it's very possible that this person will be transcribed as having the surname PENSIONER, instead of BAILEY, and middle names "Bailey Navy".

I imagine that it's possible that this could happen in other entries, where the householder couldn't quite work out where to put that sort of description, when there's already an occupation ("writer telegraph labourer"). I guess that it could happen in any context where the person has both a job and a pension.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

interesting hint christine!

Comment

Working...
    X