MacDonald Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacDonald Family

My nan was a MacDonald - Hannah MacDonald born in 1904 and died in 1993. I know enough details about her obviously but I am having problems going back. My great grandparents were John MacDonald and Hannah Jacobs but I don't know their dates of birth, place of birth is possibly Inverness, date and place of marriage unknown but possibly London. I know they were living in India before my nan was born.

Hi
    There's a possible for her in 1911 although the age is a bit out.
    Hannah Macdonald born c1906 age 5 born India.Living Edmonton Middlesex.
    Other Macdonald occupants Hannah age 36 born 1875 & Donald age 2 born 1909.

3 other occupants Alice Pritchard born 1858, Hannah Kennett born 1847 & Frank Kennett born 1885.

If you look for Hannah Kennett in 1901 she is living with 2nd husband Henry Kennett, Frank Kennett age 16 their son, Harry Jacob age 29 & Hannah Jacob age 26.
    Ref Piece/207 Folio/26 Page/44
    Moggie
    Last edited by maudarby; 20-05-11, 11:16.

Comment

There is a John MacDonald & Hannah Jacob (no 's') marriage on Ancestry (I don't know if you have access).

4th June 1903 St John the Evangelist Hornsey.
      John Macdonald bachelor age 30 engineer 62 Brownswood Rd, father Donald MacDonald, blacksmith
      Hannah Jacob spinster age 28 same address, father William Christopher Jacob (deceased) saddle tree riveter.

The witnesses were William Jacob and ?ra C Kennett so that ties in with what Moggie found
      Jackie

Comment

Hi I looked up Scotlands people and found a Hannah MacDonald born 5th September 1904 in Inverness and her parents are listed as John MacDonald (railway labourer) and Annie Mackay. On the birth extract it gives their marriage as December 28th 1901 in Dingwall

I had a few spare credits and looked up their marriage and their parents are listed as John Macdonald (general labourer) and Ann Chisholm and on the other side are Ronald MacKay (miller) and Flora Forbes

Hope this helps

Steven

Comment

Sorry my mistake it should have been Jacob - that will teach me to check spelling before posting.

I've checked up on info and Hannah MacDonald was born on 26 November 1904 in India and died on 13th November 1993 in Penarth, Glamorganshire. The family came back to England when she was about 9 and her brothers Hector was born in London about 1917 and Donald was born in India about 1909.

Comment

Here's Hector's birth
            Hector MacDonald
            Mother's Maiden Surname: Clay
            Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1917
            Registration district: Lambeth
            Registration County: Greater London
            Volume Number: 1d
            Page Number: 649

Comment

If you get Hector's birth certificate using the details shown above you will find out the name of his mother which appears to have been Clay not Jacobs. Your grandmother's birth certificate should show her mother's maiden name too.
              Maybe a second wife?

Where did you get the name Hannah Jacob from?
              Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 21-05-11, 15:13.

Comment

The 1911 shows Hannah b1875 Holborn married 7 years and that Hannah Kennett b1847 St James London is her mother!!

Comment

Hannah Jacob is here in 1901 RG13; Piece: 207; Folio: 26; Page: 44 shown as a step daughter with her mother Hannah Kennett age 55 and husband Henry Kennett age 72

Comment

I saw my Nan's birth certificate many years ago when I was a child and I know her mother's name was Hannah, maiden name Jacob. My Nan never mentioned her mother remarrying and her mother definitely had Hector and Donald. Also I have seen programs as my great grandmother was on the stage before she was married. My Nan also showed me documentation when I was younger that her mother's maiden name was Jacob.

Comment

Here's the birth for Hector - in Wales!! Ignore the earlier information as obviously just someone with the same name - riddle solved.

Hector J Macdonald
                      Mother's Maiden Surname: Jacob
                      Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1917
                      Registration district: Cardiff
                      Registration County: Glamorganshire
                      Volume Number: 11a
                      Page Number: 754

Comment

So now you have Hannah Jacob daughter of Hannah Kennett, previously Jacob nee? I'll have a look to see what there is on that line.
                        Margaret

Comment

This Hannah Jacob in 1901
                          Henry Kennett 72
                          Hannah Kennett 55
                          Frank Kennett 16
                          Harry Jacob 29
                          Hannah Jacob 26

Comment

Here they are in 1891 RG12; Piece: 165; Folio 65; Page 24

Henry Kennett 62
                            Hannah Kennett 43
                            William Jacob 23
                            Harry Jacob 18
                            Hannah Jacob 16
                            Frank Kennett 6

Comment

and in 1881 RG11; Piece: 375; Folio: 116; Page: 11

Hannah Jacob 33 widow
                              William Jacob 13
                              Harry Jacob 8
                              Hannah Jacob 5

Comment

Hannah Jacob senior married Henry Kennett on 4 Aug 1884 -marriage register entry in the London Marriages on ancestry and she gives her father's name as John Byron and his occupation is Harness maker.
                                From what I've given you so far you should now be able to follow this line back further.
                                For the MacDonald line you will probably need to look on Scotland's people which is a pay per view site to tack his line back. It's really good value on there because you get the certificate information without having to buy a certificate. The cost of getting in information is about a £1 or just over so very cheap compared to English certificates that cost £9.50 each.
                                Margaret

Comment

Here's a marriage for Hannah Byron to William Christopher Jacob
                                  Hannah Byron
                                  Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1864
                                  Registration district: St James Westminster
                                  Registration county (inferred): London
                                  Volume Number: 1a
                                  Page Number: 734

Comment

Thank you Margaret, that fits in as my great grandparents and family moved to Penarth which is near to Cardiff. You're an angel :

Comment

Working...
                                    X