Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading an occupation

Albert Mitchell, born 1845, is in the 1891 census in Alderney/St Ann's

The first part of his occupation is easy - Army Pensioner.

What's the rest of that text?

Also, I think his wife, Elizabeth, shows up in the 1901 census with daughter Mary in Guernsey, St Peter. That would make sense, she has another daughter later living in the same town.

Elizabeth says (in 1901) that she is married. Can anyone find Albert? He was discharged for medical reason in 188?. I suspect she was really a widow?

Thanks!

It looks like LC Reader or SC reader with a leaning to LC - noting that the enumerators capital L looks the same elsewhere, b ut I don't
    know what it means.
    David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I agree with David - LC or SC reader but what is that?! It's interesting that the FMP transcription just says Army Pensioner!! I can't find Albert in 1901 anywhere in the country; maybe Elizabeth is a widow and the married tag is a mistake.

I can't find a death of Albert Mitchell in the Channel Islands between 1891 and 1901.

In 1911 Elizabeth is a widow working in a nursing home as a sick nurse.

There are two Elizabeth Mitchells in Guernsey.
      Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

I think it's SC Reader - the S looks like the S in Sarah Lucas.

Comment

Thanks, that was all I could come up with for the occupation.

Did you notice that the child with Elizabeth Mitchell in 1901 has a birth place of "England", like her mother? Makes me think they went back to England, where Albert may have died, or taken off, or ???. Then Elizabeth brings her child back to the Channel Islands. It would make finding Albert's death cert quite difficult.

Polly - you have access to Channel Island deaths? They're not in FreeBMD, as near as I can tell.

Comment

I hesitate to say this as I don't think it can be right in this case, but I have a "SC Reader" who is a scripture reader.

OC

Comment

OC -why do you think it can't be right in this case? I've seen "Lay Reader" with a different ancestor, and I had wondered if this could be related. Hadn't thought of scripture, but I do think the first letter is 'S'.

Comment

Hi Photofamily! Well, I'm most probably being very naive (not the first time)! but FMP now has death records by name and one of the criteria is the Channel Islands. I am assuming they do have records of deaths in the CI but they might be kidding me or trying to show off!
                Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

I have someone in my tree who died in the Channel Islands in 1962, and he isn't coming up on an FMP search. Some earlier years do come up for the same surname, though.

Comment

SC Reader may be S..... Christian Reader. That is, a lay preacher of a particular Christian sect.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

AFAIAK the Jersey deaths and marriages and most births are not available on line, only the St Helier births from approx 1840 to 1909 are.
                      Guernsey and smaller islands are I believe.
                      David (CIFHS member No 18)
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thank you Uncle John & Polly!

Polly, I didn't realize they were indexed on FMP - apparently, several others don't know that either!

Comment

I know PhotoFamily!! It's very exciting, and has just happened - this week I think! I would have posted the information on here, but I saw someone, somewhere had beaten me to it.
                          Best wishes, Polly

Comment

Working...
                          X