Newland/Newman/Tubbs/Edwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newland/Newman/Tubbs/Edwards

My Grandmother Rose Newland came to Canada as a Barnardo child in 1909. Her father (George) passed in May 1908.
    On her intake papers four sisters are listed:
    Elizabeth (born approx 1887) Listed as 21 yrs old
    Eliza (born approx 1889) Listed as 19 years old
    Kate (born approx 1901-was put in home the next year and came to Canada 1911)
    Alice (born approx 1904) Listed as 4 yrs old
    The family was from the Acton, Middlesex area.
    An Uncle John Tubbs was listed as helping out the family.
    Correspondence with the Mother shows them living in the Acton area and some say in care of Mrs. Edwards. We looked for a marriage but none in the 1909 time frame.
    My grandmother Rose put Elizabeth Brown on her marriage license but her birth certificate and parents marriage cert. lists her as Elizabeth Newman.
    Did she remarry after Rose was sent to Canada? Could be.
    Alice, Elizabeth and Eliza remained in the UK. We even have an old photo of Alice in her late twenties but my Grandmother died when my Mom was 10yrs old so we don't have any confirmation of information.
    We have searched for 15 yrs for the families of these girls left in the UK as they would be my Mom's first cousins but to no avail.
    Any help would be appreciated, Mom is now 77 yrs old and I want to solve this mystery for her.

Paula White
    email address removed
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 18-05-11, 15:49. Reason: email address removed

Hi Paula, welcome to Family Tree Forum. I hope that some of our members can help with your search.

I am sorry but I have removed your email address as we do not recommend these are posted on the open forum. If any of our members feel they can help they will either respond on this thread (so keep an eye on it) or send you a private message. Your profile is set so that you will receive an email notification of any private message sent, but do remember you would need to log back into the forum to respond.

I can see that this may lead us to research on living people, so will point out now that we do not allow details of possible living people to be published on the open forum - but no problem in exchanging such information by private message.
    Elaine

Comment

Here is the 1901 census for reference:

NEWLAND, George Head Married M 49 1852 Dolly Man Notting Hill London
      NEWLAND, Elizabeth Wife Married F 32 1869 Rotherhithe London
      NEWLAND, Elizabeth Daughter Single F 13 1888 Kensington London
      NEWLAND, Eliza Daughter Single F 11 1890 Kensington London
      NEWLAND, Rose Daughter Single F 4 1897 Acton
      NEWLAND, Kate Daughter Single F 0 (3 MOS) 1901 Acton W

Comment

Yes I have found them on the 1901 Census. Thank you for posting though. It is the after 1908 I am looking for. Want to know who Elizabeth, Eliza and Alice married. Alice doesn't show on there yet as she was born around 1904.

Comment

Have you found any of them in the 1911 census?
          Elaine

Comment

I have been assisting Paula for a while, and have come to a dead end which is why I suggested she join on here and seek further ideas and assistance as I know how good this forum is, I can only find one possible match for Alice in 1911 which looks odd because the household entry indicates the father as being alive and head of house but we know for definite he died in 1908, but the girl appears to be a perfect match in every other way, right mothers name, right birthplace, right area

It may be that I have missed something obvious while looking so a fresh pair of eyes is good

George
            Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

And we know George is passed from the Barnardo home intake papers and I ordered his death certificate. The 1911 census entry that George found also shows other children and the mother was at quite an age at this point too.

Comment

Do you have the reference or details of the 1911 census?
                Elaine

Comment

RG14PN6967 RG78PN345 RD128 SD6 ED16 SN344 -

NEWLAND, GEORGE HEAD 48 LABOURER TOOTING
                  NEWLAND, ELIZABETH WIFE 44 DETFORD LONDON
                  NEWLAND, ALICE DAUGHTER 7 ACTON
                  NEWLAND, WALTER SON 11 ACTON
                  NEWLAND, ETHEL DAUGHTER 3 MONTHS ACTON

I can find no corresponding birth for the boy Walter and he does not appear in 1901 with George and his wife, and I cannot find another George and Elizabeth with a son Walter in case it is a different family

The household form was filled out by a G N Parsons of 48 Stanley Road, so I did wonder if this person had got his information wrong but cannot be really sure
                  Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Not really getting anywhere with this!
                    You say in your first post that George Newland died in 1908. Do you have the certificate for this?
                    If he did die in 1908 it seems highly unlikely that the 1911 census is correct, although I cannot match that family up with a 1901 census entry at the moment.
                    Elaine

Comment

When you say Rose's birth cert lists her mother as Elizabeth Newland it should also give a maiden name for her. Can you tell us what it is please?
                      Margaret

Comment

OK I think this is the marriage
                        George Frederick Newland Apr-May-Jun 1887 Fulham London
                        Elizabeth Louisa Newman Apr-May-Jun 1887 Fulham London

Ignore my earlier request as I had got mixed up between Newland and Newman - I bet she did too! :D
                        Last edited by margaretmarch; 18-05-11, 21:13.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          OK I think this is the marriage
                          George Frederick Newland Apr-May-Jun 1887 Fulham London
                          Elizabeth Louisa Newman Apr-May-Jun 1887 Fulham London
                          That looks good as the baptism record for Elizabeth (2 October 1887, St. Matthew,Kensington) gives mother's name as Elizabeth Louisa Newland.
                          Elaine

Comment

Yes I have George's death certificate from 1908 and the intake papers we got from the Barnardo group also state he died the year prior.
                            So it cannot be my Alice as George was long gone and in 1908 I think the Mom was already 43 yrs old, I doubt she went on to have more kids......
                            The name mix up is this:
                            When Rose (my grandma) got married she listed her MOther as Elizabeth Brown. So for years we thought that was her maiden name until we ordered Rose's birth cert from England and it stated Elizabeth Louisa Newman. Then I ordered their marriage cert (ELizabeth and George) and it also stated Newman as the maiden name.
                            So as I said she died when my Mom was 10 so we don't have a lot of knowledge. Actually they wrote back and forth up until she died but my Grandfather remarried and the stepmother destroyed the letters. I have pictures of ALice and her MOther where Elizabeth must be in her 70's. We think that maybe Rose put Elizabeth Brown as perhaps her Mom remarried and she had been corresponding with her and was use to Brown at that point.
                            Thank you for all the interest folks! One day I will solve this if I have to fly over there myself!!

Comment

I know you were talking at the weekend about requesting the cert for that possible marriage for Alice and seeking the Barnardo records for Kate so please let me know how you get on with those avenues, I will keep thinking and looking. I know you will solve this eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X