No announcement yet.

ORIGINS. Does anyone use this website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORIGINS. Does anyone use this website?

A couple of years ago I paid a sub to join Origins and was disappointed to discover that they could only show me indexes of what they'd found and not the documents themselves - there was an additional fee to view those. I complained and got my money back.

But they seem to be offering things I can't find elsewhere and I'm tempted to give them another try.

Please tell me whether you think Origins offers value for money and what documents it's found for you.

Thanks!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

I joined Origins for one month (about £9.50 I think). They are getting a lot of indexes, specially of wills on there. The reason I joined was to find what Yorkshire wills are available at the Borthwick Institute in York.

During the month of my subscription I searched for every Yorkshire name in my tree and made a table of the wills available. When I eventually get to York it will save me time and money because I'll know just what is there and can get copies.

I help manage the data for a One Name Society so also during my sub period I went through ALL the indexes and harvested everything I could for that name. You are right though they are mostly indexes. I felt my one month was good value for the amount of stuff I harvested but didn't need to keep on paying after that.

Anne

Comment

I did a similar thing to Anne some time ago only I paid for 72 hours which was enough for my needs. Some of the indexes from Origins are now available on FMP although I can't remember exactly which ones, Boyd's Marriage Index, some of the Marriage Licence Allegations, Wills Indexes and Boyd's Inhabitants of London are there and possibly others. You still have to approach the SoG for copies of original documents. I recently sent for a marriage licence and paid £10. So depending on what you're looking for it might worth checking FMP first.
      Sue

Comment

That's very helpful - thank you both!
        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

I used it for London Apprenticeship Indexes. Many (but not quite all) guilds are indexed up to 1800 (can't remember what year they start). It is indexed for on apprentice's names, but also father and master - I think.

Of course, you still have to retrieve the actual record.

They also have a broader apprentice index, tool

Comment

There are some Apprenticeship indexes on FMP now, but I don't know if they're identical to the ones on Origins.

Comment

Working...
            X