help with Thomas Metcalf(e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with Thomas Metcalf(e)

Thomas Metcalf(e) is my 3x Great Grandfather. He was born in 1820 Ripon and married Bessy Wood in 1841(Ripon) They had two children. Bessy died in 1847 and the children were living with their grandparents in 1851. However, I can not find Thomas on the 1851 census. In 1861, I think he has remarried as he is still living in Ripon. It looks like he married a Mary and living with the couple is Mary Hannah Davidson recorded as daughter. This makes me think that he may have married Mary Davison (could be Dawson), but I am struggling to find a marriage which fits. In 1871 his wife and Step daughter are no longer with him and he is living with his mother also named Mary. He is recorded as a Widow so maybe his second wife died as well. In 1881 I think he is in Hartlepool, Durham.

Thomas is constantly shown as either a Shoe Maker or a Cordwainer.

Could the super sleuths amongst you find Thomas on the 1851 census and identify a possible marriage for Thomas.

Many thanks, Sandra

Could you give us the references of some of the census please Sandra?
    I have only managed to find the 1861 one so far, where he is a cordwainer born Hutton.

p.s. Mary Hannah could possibly be Davison?
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-05-11, 10:57.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There is a Thomas Metcalf marriage possibly to Mary Davison in Apr-June 1851 in Leeds ref 9b 434

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

The references are:
        Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1352; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Ripon; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 29; Page: 11; Line: 16; GSU roll: 464293.

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3196; Folio: 59; Page: 31; GSU roll: 543094.

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4279; Folio: 50; Page: 4; GSU roll: 846970.

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4907; Folio: 52; Page: 41; GSU roll: 1342180.

As for Hannah's surname - your guess is as good as mine!!

Sandra
        Last edited by Sherbertrose; 18-05-11, 11:57.

Comment

I don't suppose this is him, but there is a Thomas Metcalf living in Milnrow, Rochdale saying he was born 1825 in Ripon; married to an Ann. RG: HO107 ; Piece 2244; Folio 29; Page 50.

Also a Thomas Metcalf b. 1824 Northallerton (not far from Ripon!) living with wife Fanny in Northallerton. RG HO 107; 2377; Folio 288; page 8

But could this be him:

Thomas Metcalf, b. 1818 in Asenby and down as a Registrar of Births and Deaths, and a Cordwainer. But he is living with his father, mother and aunt. Address is in Ripon.
          RG HO 107; Piece 2281; Folio 629; Page 4.
          Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

Sorry Sandra but I can't find him in 1851 I'm afraid.

Using the reference you have given for 1871 I can't find him with his mother either.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              Using the reference you have given for 1871 I can't find him with his mother either.
              I think the 1871 reference is correct - problem is on Ancestry his age has been transcribed as 31 but if you look at the image I think it should be 51.

.. but still not having much luck trying to find him in 1851!
              Elaine

Comment

Hi everyone. Many thanks for trying to find Thomas. I think I may have to put this one on the back burner once again. If Elaine can't find him he must be well hidden!!

Sandra
                Last edited by Sherbertrose; 19-05-11, 07:29.

Comment

Working...
                X