Best way to search with Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to search with Ancestry

I've seen a few comments from you all about "searching the old way" with Ancestry. I'm a bit wary of LDS at the moment due to my "William Hudson" experience. As some of you will be only too painfully aware, I've been looking for the parents of my William Hudson & have been guided by an "extracted" record of a baptism on LDS, which supposedly was the record of the baptism of a William Hudson, parents John & Ann. Someone has very kindly looked up the entry in the archives for me, only to find that the child who was baptised was clearly named John & not William.

Anyway, I've got a couple of other candidates for William & his parents. Is there a way I can search Ancestry which will make it throw up all the Hudsons baptised in a certain area, say, over a 5 year period....rather than throwing up lots & lots of Hudsons that are nowhere near the area I'm looking at, please ?

This isn't an area I'm very 'up on' Grey, but until an expert appears - not all areas are covered by baptisms on Ancestry. If the area that you are interested in is covered though, just put in the name and area, then possible year and +/- 5, and that should do the trick. Just because it isn't there though it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks, Chrissie. Think I've got it narrowed down to 2 Williams.....the problem is, the most likely one (judging by the names he gave his children etc) is the one who was born in a neighbouring village, rather than the other William who was baptised in the village my William says he was baptised in (Or, of course, it could be a third William I haven't found yet). I just thought if I could look at all the Hudsons baptised in a 5 year period in that area, it could help me try & piece the families together.

Comment

What year range for the baptism of your William and what area ?

Comment

His year of baptism, according to the census records, ranges from 1800/1806. He says he was born in Shepshed, Leics (on the Leics/Notts border). There's a possible in Shepshed itself, another just down the road in Kegworth, Leics, but the most likely re family names etc is also very close, but just over the border in Kingston on Soar, Notts (these are all from LDS as "extracted", but, as I say, someone submitted a William baptised in Shepshed in 1800 as "extracted" &, apparently, on the parish entry, it's quite clearly a John who was baptised). Just popped in here before I dash off, but I can come back later with the dates for these from LDS.

Fear it's going to be a job of going through the parish registers, which I'll have to order as "unchecked", but I thought I'd try the best way of running it through Ancestry first.

I've definitely got my William on the 1851 census, living in Ruddington, Notts, with wife Sarah & children & a few younger ag labs he seems to be the "foreman" of. He COULD be the William Hudson living with his mother, Ann, & (probably) son John (ie he would have been a widower at that stage) living in Loughborough, Leics in 1841. I can't find this William living in Loughborough in 1851 & the (son) John would fit in with a John Hudson living with my William in Ruddington in 1851 (but, of course simply could have been the youngest of the ag labs he was in charge of).

Comment

find the 'williams' your after in those localities. find the bit at the bottom of the records that say 'extracted'. it should have a blue link next to dates. the dates are years that film has for that parish. it doesnt mean other years aren't covered, just that those years your 'wiiliam' is in. click on the blue link looks like a letter followed by numbers. it will take you to the search page for the igi. then just put in 'hudson', a year range and 'seach'. it will then bring up any hudson born between say 1790-1810 in th parish you have selected.

Comment

Working...
            X