Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 Census look up please

Hi all,

I have a dilema. I have an 1891 census record of my great grandfather but it's the first family on the page and lists only the kids. Could someone help me out for the other page where the parents would be listed on. I have tried to look it up on Genes Reunited but it might be that the spelling was inputed wrongly or something as i can't find it.

My great grandfather Alfred T. Cunnington was listed aged 4 living at 6 William Street, Islington i believe.

His siblings he is listed with is Susan aged 9, Jane 8, Alice 6, Amy M 2 and William A 1.

Could someone help and list the parents infomation or send me a copy?

Thanks

Craig
    Craig

Sorry Craig,
    Have had to delete your image as posting complete copies of census pages violates copyright.
    I'll have a look at Ancestry for you to see what I can find.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine.

Oops, sorry about that. Thanks for the help if you can find anything. My great grandfathers parents were Alfred and Susan.

Craig
      Craig

Comment

From the previous page:
        Alfred Cunnington c 1854 Clerkenwell, - Head - occ. Driller at Steam Engine Factory
        Susan Cunnington c 1853 Newbury, Berkshire - wife
        Florance Cunnington c 1879 Shoreditch, London, - daughter

address: 6 William Street, Islington

Class: RG12; Piece: 168; Folio 48; Page 4
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the information...That helps me alot. .

Have a question now, i view a few sites for births and i can't find Florance (or Florence) born in Shoreditch around the time that she was born? any ideas?
          Craig

Comment

On the 1891 census it shows Florance as being born c1879.

Is this the parent's marriage?
            Marriages Mar 1881
            CALLWAY Caroline Lindsey
            CUNNINGTON Alfred
            POCOCK Susan
            ROBERTS James
            Islington 1b 375

- if so have you looked for a birth registration under mother's maiden name?
            Elaine

Comment

Yes that is correct Alfred and Susan married Mar Quarter 1881. That will be the next cert i will get from the GRO.

I did look up under Pocock and nothing Florance in Shoreditch. Have Florence Frances Pocock in Jun Qtr 1879 in Islington or a Flora Maria Pocock Jun Qtr 1880 in Islington? Could be Flora as on 1891 census there is Amy M (born Amy Maria) so that could be a possibility?
              Craig

Comment

The Alfred Cunnington and Susan Pocock marriage certificate is on Ancestry in the LMA collection (London Metropolitan Archives)
                Alfred's name has been mistranscribed as Cummington in the Ancestry index for this record.
                Elaine

Comment

Florence is age 2 in the 1881 census, indicating that she was probably born between April 1878 and March 1879.

Florence Frances Pocock in Jun Qtr 1879 in Islington looks the best option that I can see. Do you know if she married - maybe check to see if she used the middle name of Frances on a marriage or death registration.
                  Elaine

Comment

thanks, in addition to that i think i have found them on the 1881 census. Listed as Cunningham... Florence is there aged 2. But says London Middx which doesn't help in finding birth record...
                    Craig

Comment

I agree. There is a Florence Cunnington marrying in Shoreditch on Dec Qtr 1896...
                      Craig

Comment

I believe this is the right marriage as the gentleman that Florence marries i've just noticed was a witness at my great grandfathers marriage in 1914.
                        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
                          I agree. There is a Florence Cunnington marrying in Shoreditch on Dec Qtr 1896...
                          Are you referring to the marriage to Joseph William Baglee.
                          If so the marriage certificate for this marriage is also on Ancestry and gives Florence's name as Florence Emily Elizabeth Cunnington, father shown as Alfred Cunnington (dec'd) occupation Engineer.
                          Florence gives her age as 20 on the marriage certificate.
                          Elaine

Comment

Yes, i am referring to that one. Was Alfred deceased? When my great grandfather Alfred T. married in 1914 it didn't show that Alfred was deceased. I'm sure that is the correct Florence as she was a witness at her younger sister Susan's (born 1881) marriage in 1901 and was listed as Florence Baglee. I though Alfred died in 1907 myself as that was the only age that was close to fitting his birth age from the censuses but not sure.
                            Craig

Comment

Alfred born early 1850s Clerkenwell birth record has not been found and i believe he went also under George Cunnington as well. Alfred's father was a bigamist so maybe he was too? I believe this might be true as some time ago while i was looking for my great grandfather Alfred T. on the 1901 census i remember finding him in an institution being only 14 years old?
                              Craig

Comment

Alfred does seem to be still alive in 1901

1901 census
                                Household:
                                Alfred Cunnington 50 (born Clerkenwell) - occ. Machine Steam Engineer
                                Susan Cunnington 19
                                Amy Cunnington 12
                                William Cunnington 10
                                Edward Cunnington 6

address Shepperdess Walk, Shoreditch
                                RG13; Piece: 270; Folio: 122; Page: 48
                                George McCree 70
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
                                  ... as some time ago while i was looking for my great grandfather Alfred T. on the 1901 census i remember finding him in an institution being only 14 years old?
                                  There is an Alfred Cunnington born 1887 Clerkenwell -
                                  on board the vessel Shaftesbury, Training Ship (London School Board) - anchored in Tidal Waters off Grays Essex.
                                  Elaine

Comment

I have my great grandfather's Alfred T. Cunnington birth cert. He was born Dec 1886 in Islington and is on the Mar qtr of 1887. (It's his dad Alfred's birth cert who married Susan Pocock in 1881 that is eluding me). Yes, i did already have the 1901 record. This was where i wondered where Alfred T. Cunnington was. Maybe his dad Alfred placed him into the institution or similar when he was about 8 years old after his mother Susan died in 1896 aged 42.
                                    Last edited by cpdavis35; 16-05-11, 18:49.
                                    Craig

Comment

Hi Craig,
                                      Just registered with the family tree forum today and was interested to find you were also researching the Cunnington family. My interest stems from Susan Cunnington, born 28 Dec 1886, and sister to your Alfred T. Having recently grappled with the love interests of their grandfather, William (thank goodness William Cunnington, French polisher was a rare breed! - it made the trail a little easier to follow) I would love to know if you had got any further back than the William Cunnington born about 1786 who married Elizabeth Ashwell in 1810?
                                      Pat

Comment

Hi Pat,

I haven't looked at Alfred T's dad's side yet. I did hear from another decendant of Susan that Susan & Alfred's father was a bigamist. Alfred's father on his marriage cert to my great grandmother was Alfred not William which is why i haven't looked at him yet...Did you have him down as a bigamist?
                                        Craig

Comment

Working...
                                        X