Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Scottish 1891 census --please help me find 2 missing people

1891 Scottish Census

I’m hoping that someone with an ancestry subscription might be able to help with this (as the FreeCen Scottish records only go up to about 1861/71), and I'm struggling to hit the jackpot via the Scotlands People route :(

Missing Person 1
    John Davidson, who was born in 1850 in Petty, Inverness (according to the IGI)
    Last found in Petty in 1871 (with his parents Donald and Margaret Davidson (nee Johnstone) –on the 1871 census he seems to be listed as 21 ( it ‘could’ read 31, but in 1861 he was definitely 11)
    In 1894, John Davidson (farm servant) was living in Seafield, Forres, Elgin/Moray, where, age 38 (at least according to the marriage certificate!!!), he married a Margaret Shearer.

Missing Person 2
    Isabella (aka. Isabel or Bella) Paterson, born in Findhorn, Kinloss, Elgin/Moray in 1865.
    Last found in Forres, Elgin/Moray in 1881, age 11 (?!!)
    Reappears in the 1901 census, age 34, living with her brother James Paterson, in Dyke, Elgin/Moray. She is often listed as a housekeeper or domestic servant but this does vary. I don't think she ever married.

Thanks -I'm really hoping that someone can help me get passed this brick wall

I thought it was going to be harder. The indexing of the Ancestry 1891 Scotland census seems to be up the creek at the mo. Whatever search terms I put in I got the same list. So I put his name and birth details intothe old search and there he was.
    Easter Kerrowgair Farm Ho., Petty. Head (farmer) is Elizabeth Fraser aged 72.
    John Davidson aged 32 b. Petty, ploughman.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 14-05-11, 20:58. Reason: 1881 corrected to 1891
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What are you looking for via Scotlands People - I ca have a look for something specific, if you would like??
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

The only Isabella born Findhorn 1865 in the 1891 census is Isabella MASSON aged 27, servant to the Flett family at 24 Main Street Rathven Banffshire. She may be a victim of the Ancestry mistranscription disease. perhaps you can now find her on SP. There's no-one else that's remotely close as a match.

Comment

John Davidson b c 1850 died in 1932 in Forres, Morayshire.
          Is that your man??
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
            John Davidson b c 1850 died in 1932 in Forres, Morayshire.
            Is that your man??
            Sorry, I wandered away from the computer for a while.

YES that's my man

This is a family that I've been trying to trace for one of my Mum's close friends. In general, it hasn't been too difficult (well, easier than my own family)...just a couple of sticking points.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              The only Isabella born Findhorn 1865 in the 1891 census is Isabella MASSON aged 27, servant to the Flett family at 24 Main Street Rathven Banffshire. She may be a victim of the Ancestry mistranscription disease. perhaps you can now find her on SP. There's no-one else that's remotely close as a match.
              Thank so much for looking...it's much appreciated. I'll have a closer look at the one in Banffshire, but honestly, I'm starting to think that she just isn't on the 1891 census. I've been looking for that census entry for much longer than I've been searching for the Davidson one (Isabella is in my own family tree ;)). I do feel slightly better though now, knowing that at least I wasn't missing something really really obvious.
              Last edited by HappyHaggis; 14-05-11, 23:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                I thought it was going to be harder. The indexing of the Ancestry 1891 Scotland census seems to be up the creek at the mo. Whatever search terms I put in I got the same list. So I put his name and birth details intothe old search and there he was.
                Easter Kerrowgair Farm Ho., Petty. Head (farmer) is Elizabeth Fraser aged 72.
                John Davidson aged 32 b. Petty, ploughman.
                Oooo, thank you. I'll have a look at that one too. His age seems to be all over the place in the records, so it is possible. I also spotted a John Davidson age 32 in Rafford (near Forres) on Scotlands People, but hesitated because he seemed too young. Ah well, it seems that the only correct age for J Davidson may have been the on his death certificate.

I'll let you know how it all goes.
                Last edited by HappyHaggis; 14-05-11, 22:25. Reason: typo

Comment

Possible 1891 ?

ISA Paterson aged 22, general domestic servant born Kinloss, Moray.
                  Living with James Russell (farmer) and his wife Mary, address - Blackhills, Nairnshire.
                  AUDREY

Comment

i find the scots have no idea how old they are!! i have found many people who are not the ages they should be on the census. and i dont mean 2-3 years out. i have ancestors who are decades 2 young compared to the previous census, and then some age up to 30 years in the next census!! so dont feel bad for not being able to spot them!!

Comment

Originally posted by willsmum View Post
                      Possible 1891 ?

ISA Paterson aged 22, general domestic servant born Kinloss, Moray.
                      Living with James Russell (farmer) and his wife Mary, address - Blackhills, Nairnshire.
                      Thanks willsmum! I think you've cracked it
                      I've never come across Isa as a shortened version of Isabella, but when I went back and checked for births in Kinloss from 1855-1875, there was only one female Paterson with a first name beginning Isa.. (i.e. Isabella Paterson), so I think it must be her.

The age is a few years out, but as kylejustin pointed out (and I couldn't agree more), this seems to be a very common occurance, at least in the Scottish censuses.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyHaggis View Post
                        I've never come across Isa as a shortened version of Isabella
                        My m-i-l was an Isabella, addressed as Isa by her husband, though generally known as Isabel.

Comment

it is worth noting that isabella can be shortened to isbla in indexes/census sometimes. much thomas gets rendered thos, george- geo, john- jno, etc possibly isa is some short hand for isabella?

Comment

Not sure if you can help but here goes. My mother Agnes was called Mutch formerly Sutherland Paterson on her marriage certificate.

Her parents are down as James Bonnyman and Isabella Bonnyman previously Mutch maiden name Paterson, deceased.

I only have an abrev. birth cert. for Agnes which gives her surname as Sutherland Paterson and d.o.b 29 03 1922 at 13 Princes Str aberdeen.

My mam told me she was 8 years old when her mother died and that she lived with her half sisters.

She also discovered after getting the cert.when she retired that she was illegitimate.

Since reading your 2010 posts with Old Crone Holden I think my mam must be in the puzzle somwhere and now I'm confused as to whether she is a Mutch,Bonnyman or neither!!!!

Comment

Hi Rosie21, welcome to FTF. Since Happyhaggis is not online just now and the thread is over 6 months old you might find you would attract attention better by sending a private message which gets notified to people's email addresses.
                              Send a private massage (PM) by clicking on the persons name against one of their posts and select private message, which opens a message window where you can say what you need.
                              Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hi Rosie21 -got your PM.
                                  It turned out that the Isabella Paterson that I was looking for back in 2010 wasn't (after all) the Isabella Paterson who became a Mutch and then a Bonnyman. However I do still have some of the information that I dug up on 'your' Isabella at that time So I'll have a look back and see if there's anything that might help you.

Comment

Rosie

Mutch Patersons are my relatives. If you want to start a new thread, or pm me.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, I was hoping you'd pick up the thread

Rosie, I've had a look, and yes, it looks as though Agnes was born after the divorce of Isabella Paterson and William Matthew Mutch (in January 1920, and instigated, I think, by William), but probably before (? maybe OC can help with a date here) Isabella's marriage to James Milne Bonnyman in 1922.

It's difficult to trace Isabella over the period from 1920 to 1922, but, on the Moray Libindx (NM127375) there is an entry for her, and it includes a 1920 "entry in the register of poor for Grange" plus a list (likely from this entry, i.e. up until 1920) of her children. An address of 10 King Street Aberdeen is also given.

The only other thing that I noticed, and I'm really not sure how relevant it is (as in my own research I've often been clutching at potential threads that turn out to be mere coincidence) is that on Isabella's marriage to William Mutch in 1914, one of the witnesses is an Alex Sutherland. Whether Isabella had relatives who were Sutherlands or whether he was a friend I really don't know, but if I were you I guess I'd be tempted to check the 1911 census etc. to try to see if there's a link.
                                      Good Luck!
                                      Last edited by HappyHaggis; 04-01-12, 11:26.

Comment

I cannot get into my TP tree at the moment for some reason and I cannot find my paperwork about the Bonnymans.....I will try again later.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X