Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in dating photo

Hi everyone

Is there someone who can date this photo and give me an idea of how old these two ladies are I believe they are sisters.

Also I need the same help

Any help would be much appreciated
    Christine

[IMG]
    sc0001fc15 by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    sc00021732 by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by cwheelerparker; 13-05-11, 23:02. Reason: problems with posting photos

Links to photos appear to be broken!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Its been a long time since I put photos on here I have forgotten how to do it can someone remind me on how to do it I use flickr and they have changed the way people grab the photos

Christine

Comment

Photos

Hi

At last I have menage to put photos on

Christine

Comment

Re the first photo. The leg-of-mutton sleeve started to be worn from about 1893. The photographer - George E Organ had studios at 215 The Grove from 1898 to 1935 so I would date the photo at the beginning of that period. (I'm no expert though so someone else may be able to offer an opinion)
          Jackie

Comment

Hi Christine, your photo of the 2 ladies was taken after 1891...... have no idea how old the ladies would have been though.

George E Organ the photographer was born in Gloucester city. On the 1891 census he was unmarried, a photographer and still living with his parents and 7 siblings.
            In 1901 George was married to Agnes and living at the address on the photograph. His younger brother Richard was his assistant in the business.
            In 1911 George, Agnes and their son were living in Acton (Brentford) Middlesex. George was still in the photography business ( he was an employer).

Your photo can be tentatively dated as being taken between 1891 & 19??. **** Edit. NightOwl has narrowed down the date of his Hammersmith studio to 1898-1935

Nina
            Last edited by Inahaystack; 14-05-11, 00:07. Reason: additional info from NightOwl

Comment

Re the second photo:-

I found this very old posting on rootsweb.

Subject: Re: [Lon] Hellis & Sons, photographers
              Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:12:24 +0000
              References: <001e01c3d0f7$eb1aaf80$8ff41cd3@vic.optushome.com. au>
              In-Reply-To: <001e01c3d0f7$eb1aaf80$8ff41cd3@vic.optushome.com. au>

The online Historical directories site has entries for Hellis and Sons,
              photographers

and there are sites for dating old photographs. This is the first one a
              Google search threw up:

Anne
              On 2 Jan 2004, at 06:16, Tony Robins wrote:

> Happy New Year to All,
              >
              > Trying to establish identities in portrait photographs, and narrow
              > down the timeframe.
              >
              > Reverse of photographs lists Hellis & Sons at 4 London addresses:
              >
              > 13 Silver Street, Notting Hill Gate, W.
              > 30 Clapham Road, S.W.
              > 6 The Pavement, Clapham Common, S.W.
              > 211 Queens Road, Peckham, S.E.
              >
              > I think that the Notting Hill branch was the main one, but the couple
              > who I think/hope are the subjects lived at Stockwell, closer to the
              > Clapham addresses. They were James Robins & wife Margaret Robins, my
              > 2xgreat grandparents. Margaret Robins died 1878.
              >
              > Does anyone have convenient access to any London Directories approx.
              > 1870 to 1880, to check Hellis and Sons for me, please?
              > Or know of listings of London photographers which include operating
              > dates?
              >
              > Tony Robins, Melbourne
              > ajrobins@optusnet.com.au

Comment

Hi

Thank you all for your help, its very difficult when you find photos and don't know who they are

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X