Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help read this gravestone please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help read this gravestone please.

Sorted thanks

Hi
    Please can anyone help?
    As some of you may know I am a volunteer for the Gravestone photo project. I am indexing a cemetery at the moment and I wondered if someone can help with this gravestone. I am unsure of the language and wondered if anyone can help with this or with any knowledge re date and age order on such inscriptions. Sadly neither number is near the dates of surrounding memorials.
    I know the name is Gladys Hemingway but any other help gratefully received.
    Thank you... Mandy

Last edited by bubblebelle; 11-05-11, 21:37. Reason: added zoom in photo
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

The only guess I can make Bubblebell is that it looks possibly either like Greek or Russian.

Do the numbers say 78 - 45?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie
      I was wondering re the 78 and 45, could it be age 78 died 1945 or vice versa.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Was it in Barnstaple by any chance ;)

Gladys K Hemingway - died April-June 1945 - aged 66 - Barnstaple Devon ref 5b 454

Comment

Do you know the number of times I check BMD and it never crossed my mind this time.... Thanks
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

I can't find a birth for this lady (very possibly Scotland from the names) but it looks a likely marriage for her -

Jan-March 1899
            William McGregor Hemingway and one of the ladies on the page is Gladys Katherine C Ross.
            Chorlton 8c 815

Comment

I wonder if this is his death?

William M Hemingway - Jan-March 1967 - aged 93 - Totnes Devonshire - ref 7a 894

Comment

The 1901 census is interesting - Have you got Ancestry? It seems her father was a doctor born in Madeira (British subject) and it seems that she was born in Scotland. I had done a free search on Scotlands people but she didn't seem to come up though. I wonder where William was in 1901?

Comment

I think it's Greek.

Comment

Oh - looks like he was at home with his one year old son -

Comment

I thought it was Greek Mary but I hedged my bets as I've been caught out before between that and Russian

Comment

Sorry Bubblebell I got carried away didn't I :o
                        I was desperate to do a bit of research :o

Comment

Sorry Chrissie. a friend phoned and I've only just put phone down, approx 9.30 to 12.05!!!! Not a record for us though. So I was not aware of all your hard work. Thank you.
                          I just index the graves, this one is actually in Braunton and it's the first time I've come across the name locally (I think), I thought Greek myself, but also wondered re Hebrew, along with the inevitable Russian, what that would have to do with a lady from Scotland, I don't know. It all becomes addictive doesn't it? It all makes sense re dying in 1945, her birth must have been 1878, as she was 66.
                          Strangely I have noticed that there were a fair few deaths in the late 20's of younger people (ie in their 40's-60's), in thi cemetery. I am now curious to check out whether there was some disease outbreak locally at this time. Ah well a quick pop in to the records offfice next time I'm in Barnstaple and no doubt that will turn into half a day!!!
                          So Thanks Chrissie and Mary, if anyone can translate I would be interested and I would add to index.
                          Night Night.... Mandy
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Yes I know.... I should be in bed BUT I do start nights tomorrow or should I say tonight, so am jst getting into practice.

Well I checked out the Ancestry census and I noted that her Dad was Joseph Carne Ross. I thought I'd come across 'Carne' in my indexing today, it stuck in my mind because I was a big fan of the 'Poldark' novels. So I looked back and Gladys' brother Kenneth Selwyn Carne is also buried in the same cemetery, died 1940, b. 1877, his headstone has the Carne Ross, hyphenated. The actual stone is bery similar to that of Gladys, but has no strange alphabet.

Right I really must away to bed.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

It's Greek. The last word looks like an inflection for the word for God. I'm working on the rest, my Greek is basic

Comment

Oh, I notice now it says sorted at the top of the thread. So you've found out what it means?

Comment

Thank you zoejg.
                                  I put sorted as I now have what I need re indexing but I am still curious to know the inscription, so thank you for identifying the language and your bit of transcription makes sense. Thank you for your time and if you do know rest of the inscription I would still be interested. But this lady has nothing to do with me, it is just a matter of interest and I appreciate any help but I do not expect anyone to go above and beyond.
                                  Mandy
                                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

I really need to get a life, but after google ing Carne Ross, I have found a Donald Selwyn Carne Ross b1921, d 2010.... ? American, who has a greek translation background. I would think he links in with this family due to the 'Selwyn' a name which follows through this family.
                                    Without spending hours on this, there does seem a link, They do appear to be an intersting family.
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

They do seem interesting don't they Mandy. That's why I couldn't stop looking
                                      In answer to your earlier question re a resson for lots of deaths. I don't know about the late 20's but I do know that there was a severe flu epidemic which killed my hubby's garndmother in 1919 if that's any help. Maybe it returned a few years later.

Comment

I can't quite make out the last letter of the first word or the first letter of the second word, but my best guess is that it means (in the) Tenderness of God.

Comment

Working...
                                        X