Prisoners on census records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoners on census records

If someone was a prisoner at the time of a particular census, would I be able to find that out by doing a normal census search, please ?

Thanks

Yes, you should be able to, although some were listed just using their initials.
    Elaine

Comment

Yes. I've just done a search for Ann Chipwell aged 19 born Cornwall, who I knew was a prisoner in the gaol where one of my relatives was the prison governor, and she showed up with relationship to head shown as prisoner. Only problem you might have is that some gaols in some censuses listed their prisoners/inmates with just initials.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Bear in mind that some prisoners awaiting transportation to the colonies were kept in prison hulks (ships), and there's a special database for those on Ancestry.

Comment

Thank you Mary.....there's a gap for this chap between his marriage & when he next turns up on the 1861 census (ie he's not on 1841 & 1851). His wife & children are living together in Portsmouth (hence my Navy query on another thread) & he's back with them in 1861, where he's described as a "bricklayer's assistant"

Comment

Do you want to give us his name to see if we can see anything?
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X