Naval records 1840/1870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval records 1840/1870

Could someone tell me the best place to search to find if someone was in the Navy between these dates, please ? (His wife & children were alone in Portsmouth....can't find him on the census records....but they're living together in 1871)

Thanks

You might find some pointers on our Military and Maritime pages in the reference library.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much, Elaine

Comment

Hello,
        Royal Navy Seamans service records 1853 -1923 can be downloaded here

RN Officers service records 1756-1917 can be downloaded here

If you cannot find him there come back. There may be other avenues to explore.
        Roger

Comment

Thanks a lot, Roger....don't know if he was in the Navy, but he wasn't with his wife & children on the 1841 & 1851 census records (or anywhere else, as far as I can see). They were together in Portsmouth. In 1861 they were all together in Nottingham.

Comment

Does the wife describe herself as a seaman's or mariner's wife in those censuses where he was away?

Otherwise a prison sentence, or travelling to chase work (navvying / labouring) are other reasons why someone might not be around.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks a lot Christine (good ice cream parlour weather here, by the way !). No, there's no such description by the wife. Thanks for the suggestion.....I've never thought of labourers having to travel around for work (it's amazing how many ideas have NEVER entered my head.....or how the silly ideas always seem to get there first)

Comment

He could also have been Merchant Navy but those recordas are not easy to obtain as so many are missing and most are in Newfoundland where it is a chicken and egg situation finding them, as you need to know names of ships!!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                  He could also have been Merchant Navy but those recordas are not easy to obtain as so many are missing and most are in Newfoundland where it is a chicken and egg situation finding them, as you need to know names of ships!!

Janet
                  It's about 90% of the central records, I think... 10% of whatever the category is are at TNA. I believe that there are also some local record at individual ports, but haven't had to follow that up for a while, so can't be sure.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X