New Zealand records on ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand records on ancestry

Hi, I have had a contact whose gt. grandfather was James Alfred Brewerton from NZ.
    On ancestry there are several records related to this chap such as WW1 army records and electoral rolls.
    I only have the UK sub.
    Would be grateful for any info on this chap, especially DOB and name of father.
    Many thanks in advance. Going out now but back around lunch time
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Hi Jeanie

The only record for James Alfred is a birth in 1868 - no other info given.

You can search the historical records at

http://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

Comment

He appeared on the NZ electoral roll from 1905-6 onwards, so he must have been born before 1884.

There isn't a lot of helpful information in the army records (they aren't complete service records, just the nominal and reserve rolls); it gives his mother as Mrs G Brewerton of Motueka.

In the 1905-6 electoral roll he's living in Trusses Valley, Wakefield, Motueka. Also at Trusses Valley is an Ada Elizabeth Brewerton, married. And there's a John William Brewerton and Sarah Elizabeth M Brewerton at Riwaka.

According to the NZ bmd site James Alfred married Ava Elizabeth Briggs in 1895, and you'll find some births for that couple. Looks as though she died in 1917. There are two more later marriages for a James Alfred Brewerton, and a couple of possible deaths.

In 1919 I found the following Brewertons in the Motueka district:

Elizabeth, Old Wharf Road, Motueka, married
      George Henry, Riwaka, farmer
      James Alfred, Riwaka, labourer
      Sarah Brewerton, Riwaka, married

The electoral rolls unfortunately don't give relationships; judging by the entries in the BMD register I don't think George Henry and Sarah were his parents, but more likely his brother and sister-in-law.

There are quite a few Brewertons in the NZ archives, including what looks like a service record for James Alfred and a probate, presumably available on payment:

There are numerous references to Brewertons in the NZ historical newspapers, including this one:

although he may not have been yours, because it looks from the BMD index as though there were two James Alfreds of similar ages.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-05-11, 13:16.

Comment

Many thanks to both of you.
        My contact has a mother,1964, who is living. Her mother Betty Brewerton died aged 22 in 1965. Betty was married but her daughter,1964, has taken her mothers surname.
        The contact knows that James Alfred was married to a Kathleen Della Duncan.
        I do have a lot of NZ Brewertons on my one-name study who came from Oxford but there are a couple of separate groups.
        All the info above is very helpful.
        Many thanks, I will start to explore and see what I come up with.
        Jeanie
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

James and Kathleen do appear together on the later electoral rolls if I remember rightly. Let me know if you need any more information from the rolls, and I'll have a look this evening.

Comment

Hi Mary, I have looked at the marriages of James and the deaths of 'his' wives.
            In 1895 he marries Ava. She is dead as Ada in 1917. Several trees and my study has this.
            A James Alfred marries Emily Ella Daly in 1917 and she dies the same year.
            In 1918 a JA marries Caroline Astridge. She dies in 1962.
            However in 1925 a JA marries Kathleen Della Duncan.
            So were there 2 JA's or did Caroline divorce him?
            Wonder what the newspaper report was regarding. Does not look too salubrious!!!

Can you find a Caroline Brewerton on the rolls with a James at the same time as James=Kathleen?
            Many thanks
            Jeanie
            Searching for:

Comment

I'm ploughing through the elec. rolls at the moment, and it's a bit complicated.

I'm making a table showing who was living where and with whom - if you'd like to PM me your e-mail address, I'll send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie with one n. View Post
                Wonder what the newspaper report was regarding. Does not look too salubrious!!!
                It doesn't, does it?

And another Brewerton hit the headlines with a divorce in 1929: William Wallace B, son of John William, who I assume was related somehow to James Alfred.

Comment

Working...
                X