Florence Smith birth or marriage help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence Smith birth or marriage help

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me with the sister of my great grandfather Solomon Smith.

Her name was Florence Smith and I know from the 1901 and 1911 censuses that she was born in Stepney or Limehouse. Her age on the 1911 census was 12 so that puts her year of birth at around 1899.

On her brother Solomon's marriage certificate there is a witness listed as Florence Ellina Rebecca Smith which seems a good bet Solomon's sister may have been a friend of Isabel Ward who Solomon married. They were married in 1918.

I had a look on freebmd but no luck so far.

Through the help of the forum I found her brother John's war record and I have Solomon's birth, marriage and death certificates and Florence is the last sibling of Solomon so I wanted to see what I could find

Thanks

Steven

Do you have the reference for the 1901 census, if not can we have the names of her mother and father.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine her father was Solomon Smith and mother was Mary Ann Stokes

Steven

Comment

On the 1901 census the family were living in Limehouse and Florence was 2 with place of birth listed as Stepney. The reference I think is RG 13/320

Steven

Comment

Her baptism record is on Ancestry.
          She was baptised as Florence Eleanor Rebecca Smith on 1st January 1899 at St. Anne's Limehouse.
          Her date of birth is on the baptism record - born 13 Dec 1898 - so that means a birth registration of 1898 4th quarter, or 1899 1st quarter.

Off to have a look!
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine very kind as always

Steven

Comment

Birth registration
              Florence Eleanor R Smith
              1899 Jan-Feb-Mar
              Stepney
              Volume 1c
              Page 418
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine just had a look at the marriage certificate of the brother again and I think whoever wrote the certificate spelt the middle Eleanor as Ellina. A definite match. Thanks

Steven

Comment

Hi Elaine I was posting the same as you thanks for the birth details. I have had a look for a marriage but no luck on freebmd yet

Steven

Comment

A bit of a stab in the dark with a marriage!

A possible
                    Florence E R Smith / Albert Barker
                    Date of Registration - Apr-May-Jun 1921
                    Camberwell,vol 1d, page 1512

It's the only one with the right initials I can see in the same area at about the time when you would expect her to marry, if indeed she did!
                    Elaine

Comment

Umm, hang on, - have found an interesting death registration

Florence Eleanor R Leaback
                      Birth Date: 13 Dec 1898
                      Death Registration 1975
                      Southend On Sea
                      Volume: 9
                      Page: 2597

We now need a Smith/Leaback marriage!
                      Elaine

Comment

What about this one:

Florence E Smith /Frederick Leaback
                        Apr-May-Jun 1922
                        Mile End Old Town . volume 1c, page 620

Note: There is some confusion as to the GRO reference - entry for Florence says 1c, 620 - entry for Frederick says 1e 630 (bad image)
                        Elaine

Comment

Checked elsewhere. Reference is definitely Mile End Old Town, 1c, 620
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine if I ordered the marriage certificate what would I put in the page part? Or do you have to put a page number. Looks a really good bet

Steven

Comment

Same time posts again Elaine thanks

Steven

Comment

Just wanted to publicly thank Elaine for her help on the baptism and birth of Florence. Very kind as always

Steven

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old post but I wanted to see what I could find on my great grandfather's sister Florence - I was going to order the marriage certificate and take it from there but what one should I plump for?

1. Florence E R Smith married to Albert Barket Camberwell 1921 or

2. Florence E Smith married to Ferderick Leaback Mile End Old Town 1922 with the death Elaine found at Southend on Sea in 1975

Any ideas? Just looking to see if I can find out some more on her

Would also have to find the death, marriage of Solomon and Florence's other brother John Smith but won't put anyone through that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven

If it's any help, the marriage to Frederick Leaback, which looks the best bet to me, appears to have produced a son Frederick Leaback in Sept 1922 - Mile end 1c 566. This Frederick jnr probably married Mabel Dora Westlake in 1960 in Southend on sea, Essex, no apparent children.
                                    Frederick junior died in 1963 in Rochford Essex, Frederick senior died in 1968 in Chelmsford Essex, Mabel Dora Leaback died in Southend on Sea in 1978. This could explain why Florence died in Southend?

What I am curious about is the fact that 2 or 3 people have Frederick senior and one has Frederick junior too in their tree on GR. I assume they must be related further back as there don't appear to be any issue from Frederick junior.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the help as always Chrissie much appreciated and all great information

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                        Sorry to drag up an old post but I wanted to see what I could find on my great grandfather's sister Florence - I was going to order the marriage certificate and take it from there but what one should I plump for?

1. Florence E R Smith married to Albert Barket Camberwell 1921 or

2. Florence E Smith married to Ferderick Leaback Mile End Old Town 1922 with the death Elaine found at Southend on Sea in 1975

Any ideas? Just looking to see if I can find out some more on her

Would also have to find the death, marriage of Solomon and Florence's other brother John Smith but won't put anyone through that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven
                                        could you not ask for the one that has the her fathers name on it?? (have to dash) bbl
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X