army records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• army records

i have the found the following on kevin asplin's site.

Shaw, Octavius Pembroke 14974, Private 28th Coy., 4th Bn. I.Y.

i assume it's medal card info? is anyone able to find his army records?

The record will be at Kew - not online though, you'd have to go there or get someone to go for you.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Hi
      his records aren't on Ancestry but I did find the medal roll details :-

He served in the 28th company of the Bedfordshire Imperial yeomanry in the 2nd Boer war,his service 1899-1902.He was entitled to the Johannesburg,Cape colony and Orange free state clasps.He was commissioned to the 5th Lancers on 14/8/00.

Incidentally I found his birth (I think) in OND 1/4 1867 in Cardigan and a possible marriage in AMJ 1/4 1898 at Lambeth to either Emily Hewson or Mary Shannon

hope this helps

Liz
      my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

thank you anne, i may have to ask kevin asplin to get the records.
        liz, thank you for that, i cant find him in any census after 1881. he was born in wales. he seems to have married twice, 1898 and 1904, then nothing. maybe he went to live in south africa? or australia? is truly amazing how the family got around in the 18th-19th centuries!!

Comment

yes I did notice the 2nd marriage in 1904 but as you say he then disappears from censuses ! Good luck with getting his records. By the way I had a look at Kevin's site re my gt grandfather and he certainly has done alot of work on it! I shall contact him shortly.

Liz
          my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

i hope you have some luck too liz!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              thank you anne, i may have to ask kevin asplin to get the records.
              liz, thank you for that, i cant find him in any census after 1881. he was born in wales. he seems to have married twice, 1898 and 1904, then nothing. maybe he went to live in south africa? or australia? is truly amazing how the family got around in the 18th-19th centuries!!
              Kevin Asplin got some attestation records for me. I was pleased with the speed i got them and also his fee. I believe my relation stayed on in South Africa and lived in Durban, although i have never proved this. Good Luck
              Jacky

Comment

thanx tilly, i have an uncle in boer war who quit the army to start civilian life in south africa, kevin helped with this. maybe octavius did the same thing?

Comment

On the papers i have, my uncle joined the Imperial Light Horse in 1901 and, i've just noticed his "present address" on them.......Charloon and Ruttinburg, Railway Street, Durban. I wonder if that was a barracks??
                  Jacky

Comment

Kyle, here's a good link, i have just found my g uncle's "Cape Police" attestation record,there is an email addy for some chap, he copies them and only charges £5.

Good Luck!
                    Jacky

Comment

thanx for the link tilly, ill give it a go

Comment

I've just recieved my g-uncle's Police Records :D:D 5 pages full of info....i'm well chuffed now
                        Jacky

Comment

ah, what a stroke of luck!! i hope they help out

Comment

Hi,

I inherited a great big bundle of photos of the Shaw's which include Octavius as a young man and I think in uniform and with his company. I also have photos of his brothers, Neville, Aurtur, Albert and Edwin and other photos that maybe the other brothers and sister. I do not have his army records or much else on Octavius as I am related to Albert.

I also have official copies of photos of Albert Edgar Shaw with the Duke of York in his shooting party in Australia in 1901 as Albert's dogs were used for the shoot. You can find it in the State Library of Victoria at teh following link http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/vpocc/gid/...483/1/cc001017 Albert is the one at the back left of the main shooting party.

I see that you have been researching the same people as myself and I may have further information that may help you.

Regards

Spiro Z

Comment

I can tell you Kevin Asplin is brilliant. He will find you so much more than you thought possible, very quickly and he's not at all expensive.

After spending a fair bit of money on TNA records and my sister going there and being told nothing was available, Kevin had my ggg grandfather's records ( about 50 A3 pages) in the mail to me inside 2 weeks. He's just done the same for a friend and sent her a CD to save on postage.

Comment

thanx spiro, have pm'd u. libby i know he is fantastic! i just think i will scrounge up some money before i see if he can do it for me.

Comment

Military pages in the reference library

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                  X