Ancestry hint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry hint

I have a hint on Ancestry and although I subscribe to Ancestry I haven't got worldwide.
    Could someone give me an idea what the information consists of please.

I t concerns William Arthur Dean b.1873 Brownsea Island Dorset.

The hint reads:

New South Wales , Australia, registers of Coroners Inquests, 1796-1942 Record.
    William Arthur Dean Death 1917

Thanks

June

William Arthur Dean born c1874 Dorsetshire, England
    Place of death - North Goulburn
    Inquest date - 11 Feb 1917
    Inquest Location - Goulburn

Verdict: Drowning his own act while ............ of unsound mine
    (image of verdict attached - if you click on it you should be able to read it. I can't quite decipher it!)

inquest.jpg
    Elaine

Comment

Think it might be 'temporarily...written over two lines

Linda

Comment

Doh! So obvious when someone points it out! :o
        Elaine

Comment

I've never done that before Elaine, usually the other way around

Linda

Comment

Thank you so much Elaine and Linda.

I didn't even know he had gone to Australia and the suicide explains a lot.

Can I ask one more thing.

Can you see on passenger lists when he went to Australia and who with.

June

Comment

Any idea of his parents there are two that fit a year apart in Dorsershire

Linda

Comment

His parents were William and Amy Dean.

I know in 1901 they were living in Worthing Sussex.

I think he was married to Ada Burton.

June

Comment

Found an Ada Dean travelling with a Master William Dean, ages are a couple of years out, to Australia, 10th January 1913. Could be them. Very common for the husband to go out out first to get sorted with housing etc and the rest of the family to follow

Trouble is a William Dean on his own, there are quite a few. Still having a look though

Linda

Comment

Australian Electoral Roles.

1930 Ada Louisa Jane Dean 102 Cowper Street, Goulburn, home duties
                    Willam Arthur Dean clerk

1936 Same

1937 added Elma Lyal Gillies Dean now all at 105 Clinton Street, Goulburn (probably William's Jnr's wife) home duties

1949 all the same now at 21 Walker Street. Goulburn

Linda

Comment

Linda thankyou for finding all that.

That must be them. They did have a son William.

The list of William Deans that you have travelling on their own, was that the same year.? 1913.

June

Comment

Also just found William Arthur Dean married Elma Lyal Gillies Grierson 1936 Newcastle NSW.

No that was lots of different years. I'll go back and have another look. Feel I know them a bit better now lol

Edit...... Only one really fits. Wm Dean Labourer born 1874 sailed on the Zealandic on 22nd April 1912 to Sydney.

Same destination as Ada and William Jnr who went around 10 months later

Linda
                        Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 05-05-11, 17:02.

Comment

I asked because I think he was still in England in 1911.

June

Comment

Linda do you think there would have been a report of William's drowning anywhere.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away.

June

Comment

Lol... June I think it's me who's getting carried away..they aren't even mine! I'll go and have a look at some newspapers..... quite enjoying myself
                              Linda

Comment

The funny thing is they aren't mine either. It's my daughter-in-laws family. I've been doing some research for her and William Dean was one of her Grandmothers' brothers. She said her Grandmother wouldn't talk about her brothers so they didn't know anything about them.
                                In those days suicide was quite shameful I imagine so maybe she did'nt want them to know.

June

Comment

That's even funnier that they aren't yours either.

Have looked at a few newspapers and not come up with anything yet. Got visitors arriving in a minute but I'll have another look when they've gone

Linda

Comment

Linda I found a short newspaper report.
                                    A bit gruesome.
                                    William had bought an orchard with time payment. (whatever that is).
                                    It apparently wasn't succesful and he was depressed.
                                    They found his body in the well in the orchard.:(

June

Comment

That's very sad June...can I ask where you found that as I like to read the old newspapers? I looked on Trove and couldn't find anything.

Linda

Comment

I spent ages on Rootschat looking at newspapers. (I think it was Trove) I didn't have any luck as I don't think I know the right way of searching.
                                        Then I asked for help and someone found it straight away.

June

Comment

Working...
                                        X