Guernsey BMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guernsey BMD

I have a (possible) ancestor who lived in St. Ann, Alderney, Channel Islands in the 1891 census.

Does FreeBMD have deaths for this area? Any other place I can look for his death?

Thanks

have you checked the wiki?

Comment

here's the link: http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/300
      there is an address for the register office.

Comment

Ah, yes, read the documentation!

But it doesn't tell me if the Channel Islands were part of British Civil Registration? If they were part of census, why not Civil Reg?

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be so. Most of my ancestors came from Jersey and none of them are listed on the British BMD's which annoys me greatly.:(
          David
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

they seem to have their own independant registry. there was an address on that page for their bmd's office, im sure if you write you will get some info. or maybe they have a website?

Comment

There is a family history group in the Channel islands called the CIFHS (Channel Islands Family History Society), I have been a member since
              1979, but the only research they do is paid, or if you are in the CI you can go to their rooms and do some research yourself. The only records
              on line are the St Helier births - from memory about 1837 to 1910. As are as I am aware no others have been released. This forum will tell
              you how to access those records.
              David

David

Comment

I had a difficult time trying to resolve the parentage of two Samuel Wood born in Lyme Regis c 1804 I had both baptisms but coulld not tell which became a carpenter and which became a sailor... the sailor died in Guernsey and the problem resolved as the Guernsey death certs gave the names of the parents of the deceased.
                I foumd no BMD online , just census details ... but I did receive a lot of help from another site covering the Channel Isles

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be so. Most of my ancestors came from Jersey and none of them are listed on the British BMD's which annoys me greatly.:(
                  David
                  The BMD indexes are for England and Wales, Scotland is separate and so is Northern Ireland so Channel Islands is not unusual by being separate.
                  Margaret

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ection/1584983 these are the baptisms for Channel Islands

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...&region=EUROPE keep an eye here for more being added in future

Edna

addition, http://chi.genuki.weald.org.uk/gsy/start Genuki is a good source
                    Last edited by clematised; 06-05-11, 18:51.

Comment

Clematisted,
                      The first link is only of the St Helier births between those dates. Other BDM records from the Channel Islands are not available on the
                      web. The trouble is that the Channel Island parishes were rather reluctant to release their records (probably made quite a bit of money from not
                      doing so). The only way I managed to get all my family records was from contacts living in the area.
                      David

David

Comment

Grumpy

I did not search for a name but just put Guernsey into the place box in the link I gave and came up with https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1584983 and there were 43 000+ records there so try again but less is more on this search

Edna

Comment

I looked over FamilySearch's catalog pretty carefully, didn't find any records for St Ann, Alderney, Channel Islands in the time frame I need. Albert Mitchell is there in the 1891 census. Can't be sure he died there, of course.

He married in Gibraltar in 13 Jul 1869. Can't lay my hands on that one, neither.

I'm really only interested in knowing who his parents are.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                            He married in Gibraltar in 13 Jul 1869. Can't lay my hands on that one, neither.
                            You will find the overseas BMDs on Family Relatives (free to view) or on Findmypast.

The entry is as follows:
                            Source: GRO Chaplains Returns Marriages 1796 to 1880

Albert MITCHELL
                            Gibraltar
                            1868-1869
                            Page: 1073

You can order these certificates from the GRO in the same way as you would order an English/Welsh certificate, although on the first page you select "Marriage certificate - Overseas events"

... but as I said earlier, they don't always show father's name & occupation as the English/Welsh ones do ... but you might be lucky!
                            Elaine

Comment

Channel Islands Births and Baptisms, 1820-1907
                              Search all collections
                              1-1 of 1 results for >Name: albert mitchell, Event: Birth, Place: st ann alderney channel islands

Albert Mitchell
                              Channel Islands Births and Baptisms, 1820-1907

birth 05 Dec 1861 —Guernsey, Channel Islands
                              residence 1861 —Guernsey, Channel Islands
                              parents: Humphrey Mitchell, Sarah Woodgate

Is this your man

Edna

Comment

Obviously its not him as the marriage is only a few years later

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                  Albert Mitchell is there in the 1891 census.
                                  The 1891 census for St. Ann, Alderney, shows an Albert Mitchell born c1845 with wife Elizabeth born c1853 with children Albert Mitchell born c1879 and Dolly Rose born c1883.
                                  Albert was born in London, Elizabeth in Devon, Albert in Jersey and Dolly in Yorkshire.
                                  Albert's occupation is given as Army pensioner.

Is this the right family?

Have your tried searching on Findmypast for his army records to see if they help?
                                  Elaine

Comment

Have the RA record from FMP - not once does it mention his parents, even tho he enlisted at age 14 yrs, 10 months! It has his medical history, places of service. Strangely, I didn't find a date of death, or history of pension payments? It was seven pages long.

Yes, we think that's him in the 1891 census. Just want to know if John and Ann Mitchell are his parents.

Comment

Working...
                                    X