bit of a strange one or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bit of a strange one or not?

Ive found a person registered at birth - same name (unusual ) same area same MMN etc etc registered twice -no scribbles or marks next to it - one is 7a569 the other 7a516.1965- definitely the same people involved
    do you think this is a re registration of birth and if in the same quarter - change of legitimacy or added detail ?...its thought the parents married in Nigeria in 1965 same year and time of year as this birth and its the first child to this unusual combination of father and mothers name.Two other births followed ,one year later and two years later to this unique combo.
    there is no marriage record in england and wales which supports the Nigerian record.

any thoughts?

Sherlock

You can only be born once and registered once. Everything else is an amendment of some sort.

The fact that there are TWO registrations indexed for the same birth means either the birth was registered twice, that is on two separate occasions, for some reason (mother and father went separately to register, why, who knows!) or that there was an amendment of some sort and the registrar has erroneously indexed the amendment as a new registration.

I do hope this makes sense! It might be worth contacting the local registrar to see if it is the same birth with a correction, or two separate registrations.

OC

Comment

what i have found is this

1. birth OND 1965 Gloucester child I ( MMN L)
      2. birth OND 1966 IOW child I (MMN L)
      3. birth JAS 1969 Yeovil child I (MMN L )
      4. birth in nigeria 1972 to child by MR I and Mrs L

no record of marriage of a Mr I or Mrs L in England or wales
      but there is a marriage for a Mr I and another woman (Mrs G) at the same time as the first birth in the same town/district - considering the very unusual surname and lack of records for the name in this area besides the odd one or two over decades is it possible he married the mother in Nigeria and was bigamous ?...ie he was already married - woman tells him shes going to have his son and so he takes her to Nigeria to marry her.? there are no births registered to Mr I and the 1965 marriage (Mrs G).
      Last edited by Sherlockslovechild; 04-05-11, 19:59.

Comment

I might be being thick here, but couldn't Mrs G also be Miss L?

Alternatively, the couple lied when registering the births in England and pretended to be married - or whichever of them registered the birth pretended they were married.

I don't know enough (that means I know nothing!) about registering births in Nigeria to know how it's done.

OC

Comment

ive delved deeper and yes this marriage in 1965 was a second marriage for Mrs L - she married in 1959 - her death and birth records all match up - so the marriage in 1965 had her most recent surname but the births had her maiden name - that may have been the reason for the dual record for the first child -ie she registered her details wrong perhaps.....quite funny as I delved and found someone with parents surnames Lemon and Light !!

Comment

Even if she corrected wrong details, there should really only be one registration, especially in the same quarter. I think the Registrar possibly made a mistake and entered the birth twice.

OC

Comment

Working...
            X