Haydons from Mitcham who emigrated to Canada in the early 1900s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haydons from Mitcham who emigrated to Canada in the early 1900s

I’m looking for help locating descendants of Clifford Haydon, born in Mitcham Surrey England in 1887 who emigrated to Nelson, British Columbia, Canada in about 1908. Cliff would have been in his early 20s when he met and married an Alice Beatrice Christian or Alice B. Cheshire. They had at least two children together; the 1911 Canadian Census Online shows daughter Geraldine Lucy Haydon 1 year old and Harold Mitcham Haydon 2 months.

Hi Ginger,
    Just following on from your blog entry, if you look at the image of the 1911 census it looks like Dorothy Cheshire (not Christian) who was staying with the Haydon household.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Ginger,

I see from another post that you are from Western Canada, so you may already have this information.

Harold Mitcham Haydon
      b. 7 May 19ll. Wentworth Ontario
      Parents Clifford - manager of livery stable and Alice Beatrice Cheshire
      Married Deloraine ?, Manitoba 4th March 1909

I found the above on ancestry.ca

Do you have the death registrations for Harold, Clifford and Alice ? I was thinking that the informant on Alice's could be a family member, and perhaps traceable.

Another method would be obituaries. Since Nelson and Trail are small towns, you might be able to get their obits from the local newspaper or from the local library.

If you don't have the death reg certificates, pm me with your email address and I will pop down to my local libary and print them off for you.

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

bcbrit... thanks for your message. I see from your post you're in my neighbourhood. I'm in West Vancouver.

I'm a novice at genealogy. I'm not a member of ancestry.ca so perhaps that's the reason I can't find some of the the information you provide.

I have Clifford Haydon dying on July 18, 1937, aged 49 in Nelson BC - Reg. Number: 1937-09-531129

I have Alice Beatrice (Cheshire) Haydon dying March 14, 1951, aged 67 in Trail BC - Reg. Number: 1951-09-003319

I have Harold Mitcham Haydon dying March 15, 1924, aged 12 yrs 10 mos in Nelson BC Reg. Number 98935, - also from the BC Death Registrations, 1872 - 1986:
        Film Number: 1927302
        Digital Folder Number: 4437614
        Image Number: 2397
        BC Archives Film Number: B13125

Clifford Haydon and Alice Bernice (Cheshire) Haydon also had a daughter named Geraldine Lucy Haydon b. December 1909 but I can't find anything further about her.

According to the 1911 Census of Canada, Clifford and Alice were living in Nelson, BC on Silica Street. Clifford's brother-in-law Arthur Reynolds Christian and sister-in-law Caroline Dorothy Christian were living with them. I believe Clifford was the manager if a livery stable, but ... Alice Beatrice Cheshire Married Deloraine ? Manitoba 4th March 1909 is perplexing me. I know Alice was in Ontario in 1911 because Harold was born there.

Do you have the URLs for your sources?

Ginger

Comment

Hi Ginger,

Wow ! My local library is West Vancouver !!!

Would you like to meet up there ?

I have found Alice, the two children and Dorothy Cheshire in the 1911 Ontario census.

Are you aware that you can get copiesof the BC BMD registrations at the West Van library, and that they have ancestry library there too ?

I am going to send you a pm,

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks bcbrit... I received your pm and will reply to your email after I've put the recycle bin garbage out for collection.

Are you a librarian? If you're who I think you are from your email address, i.e. a librarian who used to be at the Parkgate library, and who recently cast a vote at the West Van polling station near Gleneagles, then I know I'm in good hands. Keep an eye out for my email.

John

Comment

If you're looking for a good family tree site try here... http://themayfamily.tribalpages.com/...surname/Haydon

I've found what I've been looking for.

Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                Hi Ginger,

Wow ! My local library is West Vancouver !!!

bcbrit
                Funnily enough it's my local library too (5 minutes away) and I regularly use it for Ancestry look-ups!
                Last edited by jenoco; 17-05-12, 01:28.
                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                X