Calling the Nottingham contingent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling the Nottingham contingent

Has anybody got any connections with a Nottm Dilkes family ? Nothing to do with research as such, but it seems as though an Elizabeth Dilkes was responsible for introducing a facial feature into my family (mid to late nineteenth century) & I was wondering if anyone else was related to them & had this too.

I'm assuming the cloven hoof came from a different branch of the family.

Comment

I've got Lily Dilks born 1878 in Nottingham marrying into my Everitt family. I know its without the 'e' but the nearest I can get.

Any help!!
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Possibly, Lin....the Dilkes sometimes comes up with/without the e. I'll have to look into my Elizabeth's details. She married Joseph Asher who was born in 1852. I'll try & find Elizabeth's details & get back to you (possibly Lily's aunt ?)

Comment

Hello, Lin.....I don't know if you've looked into Lily Dilks' family at all (if not, I'll keep digging). But do you happen to know if her father was James ? As far as I can see, that was the only brother my Elizabeth had. They were living on Parliament St in Nottingham in 1861 & Newcastle St (which is off Parliament St) in Nottingham in 1871.

James (the father) was born in Nottingham, but his wife was born in either Portsmouth or Southsea, as were all the children before Elizabeth (she, together with James & the other younger children were born in Nottingham) This is very interesting for me because the Ashers (my family Elizabeth Dilkes married into), had Jewish roots (although they don't seem to have been practising Jews) & everywhere I look I find connections to the Portsea area, which has one of the oldest Jewish communities in Britain.....but I can't find any of my Ashers there themselves. A possibility, then, that the Dilk(e)s /Mrs Dilk(e)s had Jewish roots...or maybe they were non Jewish families originally from that area.

Let me know if you know anything about Lily's parents...if not, I'll keep working away to see if I can find any links

Comment

it looks as though Lily's parents are Arthur Thornhill Dilks and Martha Hannah Gill married 1865.

I haven't really done anything on her line but see if that helps. She married Frank H D Everitt in 1895? Nottingham.

I am on the lap top and my tree isn't on this computer so it is a bit of guesswork.
            Lin

Comment

Thanks. Lin...will see what I can find

Comment

Well, Lin, don't know if I'll be able to prove a connection, but I'd say the families certainly knew one another...living quite nearby & this is the situation I've found so far.

Me. Joseph Asher m Elizabeth Dilk(e)s
                You...Lily Dilk(e)s.....father Arthur Dilk(e)s....father George Dilk(e)s.

When Arthur was living with his parents, he lived next door to a Morley family. One of my Joseph Asher's & Elizabeth Dilk(e)s' daughters married one of the Morley's sons & the couple moved in with Joseph & Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                  I'm assuming the cloven hoof came from a different branch of the family.

I have Morleys' ;)
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh.....so is it YOUR lot with the cloven hoof, then, petal ?

I'll give you the Morley details in a bit. Lin....I guess the Dilk(e)s are of no great interest to you (being on the fringes), but, I've gone back as far as George & they were all born Nottingham/Sneinton. They may have been from the Portsea area originally, but it looks as though I'll find out more about that if I follow my James Dilkes' wife. Drat !! I promised myself I'd stick with the main lines, but there has to be something in this Portsmouth connection for the Asher family as a whole

Comment

No....it's OK....I haven't been tainted by the Morley blood....he married my great aunt..

The bare bones of what I've got, Chrissie.....1901 census....head of household Joseph Asher (my great grandfather). Living in the household, his daughter Clara Morley (born 1875) & his son in law John Morley (born 1872) & their son John (born 1898). It's Curzon St, St Mark's parish, in the north east of Nottingham. Have to look it up, but I think it could be Daybrook (??)

Comment

PS If anyone's wondering about the facial feature, it's quite thick lips....look OK on the women, but a bit odd on the men who've inherited them. Can't be 100% sure, of course, but I'm in touch with a fellow Asher descendant & we split at Joseph....these lips not in her family, so probably came through Joseph's wife. Off to try Mick Jagger's family

Comment

I remember seeing those Morley neighbours when I was looking at that Asher census once, trying to help you Grey. I wondered then but I couldn't see a connection. My grandfather was Christopher Edward Morley but the easiest ones to track are his ancestors as they have a couple of Levis' (the genes, not the jeans ). I wouldn't bother trying to connect with the Levis' though. The old Levi's wife got disconglomerated from her family for marrying him and he ended up in prison briefly shortly after they married. The young Levi went to prison too and left his wife and baby and ran off :D I once worked with, and became friends with, a descendant of Levi seniors wife's and didn't realise until I told my mum her name.

I think I'm more likely to be descended from an Asher. I have the cloven hoof but unfortunaly not the thick lips I'm enjoying his thread. More from your comments than anything useful
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

"James (the father) was born in Nottingham, but his wife was born in either Portsmouth or Southsea,"

Looking at the 1851 and 1861 census it says that Elizabeth was born 1816 in Bath, Somerset!
                            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I'm glad Lily only married into my family just in case.

The funny thing was I sent some of yesterday afternoon looking at my Everitts trying to bring them more up to day or I wouldn't have even remembered Lily.

I am at work at the moment but will have a look tonight.

St Marks Church Nottingham was on Huntingdon St but not sure off hand where Curzon st is. I will investigate that a bit further.
                              Lin

Comment

There is a marriage on Familysearch which could be these two:

James Dilks and Elizabeth Hendy 30/7/1839 Weston, Somerset
                                Parents of James - Benjamin Dilks and Elizabeth Hendy
                                Parents of Elizabeth - John Hendy
                                Wendy

Comment

Just google Curzon St and it is just off Huntingdon St, next to Union Road where my Mum and her siblings were born. One them was baptised at St Marks Church.

We are getting away from the subject but it is nice to see all street names I know.
                                  Lin

Comment

Thanks, everyone....the places of birth vary from census to census....for example, on the 1871 census it has the son, James, born in Portsmouth & his mother born in "Hampshire". However accurate/inaccurate the individual attributions, there's clearly some link to Portsmouth, which ties up with a lot of Asher connections....whether it's people they marry or people elsewhere who you feel MUST be connected with them somehow.

Oh, no, don't worry, Lin, ramble off course as much as you like....I love hearing the street names too. I think Joseph Asher ended up in Daybrook, which made me wonder if Curzon St was, too. But now you've pinpointed it, I remember the street sign (or at least the old street sign). I've emailed the Portsmouth Local History Society to see if they know of any links between their Jewish community & the Nottm one, or if there's any evidence or particular reason why people from Portsmouth should head there. (I had the same questions about my non Jewish Elliotts from Somerset & then I realised that Somerset had had a significant lace industry, which went to the wall as Nottingham's became more & more important....that was why, not just my Elliotts, but a lot of people from Somerset, moved up there)

Comment

There are more census that state Bath, Somerset than Hampshire! In 1841 they were living in Somerset!

Found a baptism for the 1st child Benjamin Dilks in Bath, Somerset.

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.
                                      Wendy

Comment

They could have come up with the Somerset laceworkers, then. Even if they originally came from/spent some time in Hampshire, they may have gone to Somerset to work in the lace industry & moved up to Nottingham because of the lace trade.

Comment

Working...
                                        X