The Mysteries of Adele Breton dite Kerouac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysteries of Adele Breton dite Kerouac

I posted this in the "New to Family Tree Forum" thread to introduce myself. I hope someone can help me discover the secrets I've been waiting to uncover.

My great grandmother, Marie Lucie Guay (D'amour) (d.1979) has a maiden name of Labelle on my grandmother's baptism record. None of my family knows why since we know her father's name was Joseph D'amour (d. c1930) and we don't know of any other marriage. Also, according to the 1911 census of Canada, her mother Adele Breton (d. 1920) was listed as immigrating from the U.S. in 1881, but there are no records of immigration nor of any families of which she belonged. Her death record also lists her name as Adile Breton dite Kerouac. Very confusing!

Also, if anyone has a world membership on Ancestry, I would greatly appreciate if you would do a search within the Paris, France and Vicinity Marriage Banns for a Marie Lucie D'amour. There should be three results but I can't open them because I do not have a world membership. If anyone could let me know the results it may help me a TON!

Thank you!
    Nicole

Hi Nicole and welcome to FTF.

There are 3 listings for a marriage of Marie Lucie D'amour.
    The first one on 8 April 1883 to Marie Cortet
    and two which seem to be the same marriage, but a year apart!
    11 July 1885 & 11 July 1886 to
    Pierre Léopold Moullac.

Both marriages list her father as
    Auguste Alexandre Damour and her mother as Mathilde Céline Haurant.
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 01-05-11, 17:57.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi Nicole,

Did you notice that on Adèle's death entry it refers to her husband as "Joseph Courbon dit d'Amour"? Any idea why?

Mary

Comment

Marie Lucie didn't marry in France, but in Ontario.

Charles Eugene Guay married Lucia D'Amour on 16 October 1912 in Kenora District, Ontario.

Her parents are named as Joseph D'Amour, pensioner and Adele Breton.

If you'd like a copy of the image, send me a private message (click on my name) with your e-mail address.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-05-11, 19:23.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think dit (e) means alias or aka.

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

That's right; I was wondering why both he and his wife appear to have an alias.

Comment

Not sure how much information you already have, but this is what I've found so far.

This appears to be Marie's baptism, in Lévis, Quebec, in 1891; the name given to her was Marie Leocadie (?) Josephine Lucia D'Amour, and her parents are named as Joseph d'Amour and Adèle Breton:

Here she is in the censuses, sometimes called Lillie:

1891 (Lévis, Notre Dame de la Victoire):

1901 (Bellechasse, Saint-Charles):

1911 (Bellechasse, St Charles):

Joseph's shown as a railway brakeman (serre-freins) on all the censuses and the baptism entry.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-05-11, 23:00.

Comment

All the censuses except 1911 appear to show Adèle as being born in Quebec, so I guess that entry in 1911 must be a mistake, especially as the two oldest girls, Marie and Georgianna, were born before 1881; however, I haven't found them on the 1881 census yet, or a baptism for them, so it's always possible that they were born to a previous wife of Joseph's. I haven't found a marriage for him and Adèle so far.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting hopelessly confused by this family. I've found quite a lot of entries for people with the surname Courberon dit d'Amour or similar, and I'm just going through them to see what I can find.

So far I've found the following baptisms in Quebec:

7/5/1884 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Marie Rosana Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour, brakeman, and Adèle Breton.

6/2/1886 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Marie-Agathe Adèle-Celanine Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour InterColonial employee, and Adèle Breton.

4/11/1887 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Joseph Charles Ferdinand Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour, InterColonial employee, and Adèle Kerouach.

15/6/1889 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Joseph Ludger Adelard Polycarpe Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour, brakeman, and Adèle Breton.

9/3/1891 at Lévis (Notre-Dame-de-la-Victoire): Marie Leocadie (?) Josephine Lucia D'Amour, parents Joseph d'Amour, brakeman and Adèle Breton.

18/12/1898 at St-Charles (Bellechasse): Joseph Alphonse Leopold Damour, parents Joseph d'Amour, brakeman, and Adèle Breton.

These baptisms match the Rosanna, Adèle, Charles, Ludger, Lilly and Leopold shown in the 1901 census with Joseph and Adèle.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-05-11, 22:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Marie Lucie didn't marry in France, but in Ontario.

Charles Eugene Guay married Lucia D'Amour on 16 October 1912 in Kenora District, Ontario.

Her parents are named as Joseph D'Amour, pensioner and Adele Breton.

If you'd like a copy of the image, send me a private message (click on my name) with your e-mail address.
                    Thank you but I've had this information for quite some time. The confusion with Lucia was that on my grandmothers baptism record, Lucia's maiden name is Labelle when it should be D'amour!

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                      I could be wrong, but I think dit (e) means alias or aka.

bcbrit
                      It does basically mean aka. For some reason, which I have no idea why, some people had two last names. I did notice the name Joseph Courbon dit d'Amour on Adele's burial record. Adele was also known as Adele Breton dite Kerouac on the record.

Comment

All the censuses except 1911 appear to show Adèle as being born in Quebec, so I guess that entry in 1911 must be a mistake, especially as the two oldest girls, Marie and Georgianna, were born before 1881; however, I haven't found them on the 1881 census yet, or a baptism for them, so it's always possible that they were born to a previous wife of Joseph's. I haven't found a marriage for him and Adèle so far.
                        It might have just been guessed that she was born in Quebec since she was French. It's interesting about the two oldest girls being born before 1881, I've never noticed that before! I haven't found a marriage record for Adele and Joseph either...

Comment

Originally posted by nfradsham View Post
                          Thank you but I've had this information for quite some time.
                          OK, I thought you were looking for the banns of marriage of Joseph and Adèle's daughter Marie Lucia.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting hopelessly confused by this family. I've found quite a lot of entries for people with the surname Courberon dit d'Amour or similar, and I'm just going through them to see what I can find.

So far I've found the following baptisms in Quebec:

7/5/1884 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Marie Rosana Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour, brakeman, and Adèle Breton.

6/2/1886 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Marie-Agathe Adèle-Celanine Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour InterColonial employee, and Adèle Breton.

4/11/1887 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Joseph Charles Ferdinand Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour, InterColonial employee, and Adèle Kerouach.

15/6/1889 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Joseph Ludger Adelard Polycarpe Courberon Dit Damour, parents Joseph Courberon Dit Damour, brakeman, and Adèle Breton.

9/3/1891 at Lévis (Notre-Dame-de-la-Victoire): Marie Leocadie (?) Josephine Lucia D'Amour, parents Joseph d'Amour, brakeman and Adèle Breton.

18/12/1898 at St-Charles (Bellechasse): Joseph Alphonse Leopold Damour, parents Joseph d'Amour, brakeman, and Adèle Breton.

These baptisms match the Rosanna, Adèle, Charles, Ludger, Lilly and Leopold shown in the 1901 census with Joseph and Adèle.

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/ce...Ad%E8le+Damour
                            This is incredible research! I want to thank everyone SOOOO much! I wonder why Adele is listed as a Kerouach only once?! There are many different spellings of the name, Kerouac, Kirouac, Kerouach, or Kervoac. Kervoac is the town that basically all the Kerouac's descended from in Brittany, France. Breton was formed from Brittany, I believe, when Kervouac was too difficult to pronounce.

Comment

I'm getting nowhere finding baptisms for the three oldest girls, although I've tried all the possible surnames, including Kerouac and Breton, in case they were Adèle's illegitimate children, or by a previous marriage.
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-05-11, 00:26.

Comment

See what I mean?! Everyone is confused by this woman!!! Haha! I appreciate what your help a great deal!!!

Comment

Can anyone give me some aid on Adele's husbands family? Joseph D'amour born Oct 1849 in Quebec...

Comment

I think this is the most likely baptism:

21/10/1848 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Joseph Calixte Damour De Courbron, parents Pierre Damour De Courberon and Adèle Béchard.

Comment

Sister for Joseph:

10/10/1846 at Rivière-du-Loup (St-Patrice): Marie Celanyre D'Amour Dit Courberon, parents Pierre Damour De Courberon and Adelle Béchard.

Comment

la belle sounds like a mistake, it means the beauty or beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X