Where are William and Ann Scown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are William and Ann Scown?

Just joining the dots on William and Ann Scown.
    Acording to censuses William was born Exeter about 1811 and Ann at Poughill (near Bude) Cornwall about 1813.
    In 1861 they are at Pound Lane, East Teignmouth, Devon with their elder batch of children. William is a wheelwright aged 50.
    In 1871 they are at French Street, East Teignmouth with their younger batch of children. William is a carpenter aged 60.
    In 1881 they are at Lower Brook Street, West Teignmouth on their own. William is a wheelwright aged 70.
    In 1901 William is on his own in Newton Abbot Workhouse, a widowed coachmaker aged 90.

I've looked on familysearch but can't see a marriage.
    I can't find them in 1891 or Ann's death.

Son Henry (b. about 1837) was a seaman and turns up in Hull in 1891 as a "bullyman".
    Daughter Sarah Ann born 1861 is the main focus of my research and I've got her just about sussed. She married Walter William Rutherford in 1878 and I have her in every census from 1871 to 1911. Walter was a seaman and I can't find him after 1901.

Any ideas please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

What about this one
    1891 census

transcribed on Ancestry as William Sevwn
    Elaine

Comment

Possible death registration

Ann Scown
      1892 Jul-Aug-Sep
      District: Newton Abbot
      Volume: 5b
      Page: 65
      Elaine

Comment

How about this death? Ann Scown, 76, Newton Abbot, Q3 1892 (born c 1816)

I think I have William & Ann in 1891: 31 Brunswick Street, East Teignmouth

William Scown Head 76 Wheelwright b Exeter
        Ann Scown Wife 74 b Fowey, Cornwall

Surname transcribed Sovrin on fmp, Sevwn on Ancestry

I know Poughill is nowhere near Fowey, but surely this must be your couple?

That age for Ann would fit with the 1892 death.

scuda

PS Elaine beat me to it!!
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

There is a William Scown marrying a Grace Bridgman in Poughill in 1825 (Cornwall OPC) - but can't see anything else.

You may need the birth certificate of one of the children.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine and scuda. I think this 1891 entry is close enough to forgive her birthplace and their ages being a bit out. Names are correct, as is his occupation. I don't know how a local would pronounce Poughill - maybe it could be mistaken for Fowey, or the enumerator couldn't read his own writing when he filled in the form. The death looks spot on too, with the same error in age. I'll put in the marriage as a possible, subject to check. It's such a distant bit of my tree (only linked by location, so I've made a separate tree) that I could justify spending out on a certificate. I seem to remember there's very little Cornish stuff on the IGI and successor databases.

Comment

And I've now found William's death in Newton Abbot in q2 1902, aged 88, so he lost 2.5 years while in the workhouse!

Comment

Working...
              X