X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BATCHELOR/DANIEL mystery UPDATE Post #6

Hi everyone
    Apologies if this is a bit long winded.

Walter William Batchelor was born on 4th October 1902 in Camberwell. His mother was Florence Batchelor. No father named.
    Florence married Douglas W Daniel in 1909 in Hackney.
    Walter took the surname Daniel although it is not known if Douglas was his father.

In 1911 (census) there is no sign of Douglas Daniel. Florence Daniel is living with her widowed brother & her son Walter, listed as William is living with his grandmother.

Walter William married as a Daniel in 1924 in Hackney naming Douglas Daniel as his father.
    They had five children born between 1925 & 1934. Their last child is my son-in-law’s mother.
    About 1936 Walter “disappeared”. By this time they had moved from London to Essex.
    I think my daughter last found him in the electoral registers in 1936.

The family story is that he went out one day to get a newspaper and was never seen again although it is possible that his wife knew where he was.

It seems that he reverted back to the surname Batchelor as we have just found a death for him in Watford in 1977, birth date given as 4th October 1902, so my daughter has sent off for the certificate. Let’s hope it reveals something interesting.

This is where I would like some help please because I have found a marriage between a Walter W Batchelor & Sophia Tidman in 1937 in Islington & a son R.W
    ( may still be alive) born in 1938 also Islington.
    Of course this could be an entirely different Walter W Bachelor & so I have been tracing Sophia Tidman.
    She was born Sophia Willson on 10th October 1898 Shoreditch/Hackney.
    She married Charles Edward Sidney Tidman in 1919 in Islington.
    One daughter O.S Tidman from this marriage born 1920.
    Charles died in 1936 at Highbury (probate on Ancestry)
    She then married Walter W Batchelor & had a son (details above)

In 1953 I have found the son R W on a passenger list age 15 coming back to the
    U K from Kenya going to an address in Dagenham, Essex. Also on the same ship was a Sophia Johns age 55 housewife going to the same Dagenham address.
    Sophia appears on two later passenger lists 1955 & 1958 as being married & a shop assistant, born 10/10/1898 coming from Kenya going to the Dagenham address.
    On Findmypast there are 3 entries for S. Johns (female) born 1898/9 going to Kenya in 1952, 1954 & 1956.
    I can’t seem to find a marriage for Sophia to a Mr Johns or a death for her.
    Suggestions and any help much appreciated.
    Moggie
    Last edited by maudarby; 07-05-11, 06:38.

Hi Moggie,
    Just to say I've had a look but not come up with anything!
    Elaine

Comment

I should have mentioned it too this morning Moggie. I had a look but couldn't see anything either I'm afraid. I haven't got world wide though and I think perhaps some answers may lie there?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Elaine & Chrissie
        Many thanks for spending time looking for me.
        Although Batchelor is quite a common name there aren't too many named Walter.
        There's a tree on ancestry with another Walter William Batchelor born 1885 Islington. It's actually 1886 in the index.He married Kate Hesketh in 1910 & they had 2 children born 1913 & 1925. Kate died in 1937 so W W B is a possible candidate to have married Sophia Tidman later that year.
        The tree owner doesn't have a date of death for him & I can't seem to find one either.
        If anyone can find out when he died I may be able to rule him out from my list of possibles.
        Many thanks
        Moggie

Comment

There are two Walter W Batchelor deaths that would fit with 1885/1886 births.
          One in 1962 July-Sept in Hendon - age 76 - ref 5e 402
          One in 1959 Jan-March in Luton - age 73 - Ref 4a 195
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Everybody
            Walter William Batchelor's death cert arrived yesterday.Birth date correct, place of birth (Camberwell) correct.He died 3rd March 1977 in hospital.His home address was in Bushey, Herts. His occupation given as a shellfish merchant & his death was registered by his son JWB of the same address.
            So where do we go from here, how can we find out about JWB, quite a common combination of names unfortunately? Any suggestions appreciated.
            Moggie

EDIT: Details of possible living person removed. Please PM Moggie for the details.
            Last edited by Caroline; 07-05-11, 06:54.

Comment

Sorry Caroline
              I did wonder about putting the son's full name in the post but thought it would be OK as I didn't put & don't know exactly when or where he was born. Of course we are hoping that he is still alive.
              Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                Sorry Caroline
                I did wonder about putting the son's full name in the post but thought it would be OK as I didn't put & don't know exactly when or where he was born. Of course we are hoping that he is still alive.
                Moggie
                I had to read it several times before I decided it needed changing!!
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                X