New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York

For some time I have been endeavouring to find a possible death or divorce for Bertram Dietrich who died, to the best of my knowledge, in New York, possibly Buffalo, between 1934-1946. It is very difficult to find anything from such a distance (England) and, of course, people on the spot can only offer limited help, like searching a 3yr span etc.

Everyone has, will always have, these gaps in their research and we all long to see the
    missing information surface so we can fill our gaps. Some queries we have to put away but others, like this USA one you cannot ignore for long because it has become so important.
    However, to resolve it seems virtually impossible.

USA Vital Records are virtually unsearchable, impenatrable, unless you have dates that are close to the event you are searching for. Again, it seems you also have to have so much proof as to your relationship too.

I think British archived searchable material is "the tops" when it comes to research with births, marriages, deaths etc., so easy for anyone to access. If you are a member of Ancestry the wealth of what can be found is wonderful and without paying a penny non-members can search the indexes, of course, only UK!!

I am sure there must be many feeling the same frustration.

dreen 22

england and wales, ireland and scotland are the only countries that come to mind that have centralised searchable databases for births, deaths, and marriages. almost anyone can get a certificate for anyone in the U.K.

the U.S. seems to keep all the records in town halls, instead of one government body responsible for them. australia has keeps bmd's by state also, but has searchable databases for them. new zealand seems to have one site. most countries have strict privacy laws, meaning records for the last century are usually the hardest to obtain. my cousin went through hell trying to get a copy of his australian birth cert, because his mother burnt his copy, and he didnt have a photo I.D. whereas i ordered my mum's birth cert from leeds with no questions asked, not even a survey asking for my relation to the person the cert was for!

Comment

p.m sent to identify the family....
      Researching my family with the surname Clive, and variations/mispellings Clives Cleve, Cleves, Cleeve, Cleeves from the Worcestershire and Wolverhampton areas. Especially various Mezey Clive characters!

Comment

Yes, all true. I have recently had research done in Australia NSW and information from NAA was quite easy to obtain although some had to be vetted first. Likewise
        I was personally able to order a Marriage & Death Certificate through a recommended agent with no problems whatsoever. USA play their cards very close to their chest
        it would seem. Someone living in the US was able to obtain, with difficulty, a Death Certificate from Texas but that is all I have had out of the States from Vital Records.

dreen22

Comment

Well, I'm afraid all I found was what you have already and all the different sites you have been searching for information! Next time I'm running one of my tough ancestors through obscure sites here and there I'll include him as well, and see if anything turns up.

Sorry,

Les
          Researching my family with the surname Clive, and variations/mispellings Clives Cleve, Cleves, Cleeve, Cleeves from the Worcestershire and Wolverhampton areas. Especially various Mezey Clive characters!

Comment

When I googled Bertram, I came up with references to threads on RootsChat, and FindAGrave. It seemed like you probably already knew about them. The FindAGrave page is now gone.

Have you thought about the idea that Bertram may have changed his surname? After WWII started, it would have been difficult to have a German sounding surname, especially with a foreign accent (even if it was British).

Comment

Many thanks. I did not realise until after I had replied that you were in Spain, my apologies.

Look forward to hearing from you, perhaps, in the future.

Doreen

Comment

Working...
              X