Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• information required on the Ashby family living in Ontario Canada

Hi

It looks like my Ashby family emigrated from Stepney, London to Ontario Canada. The family is in Stepney london in 1881

Charles Henry Ashby born 1835 (could be as early as 1827)
    Elizabeth born 1848
    Charles born 1869
    Georgina born 1870
    Mary Ann born 1870
    Elizabeth born 1872
    Frederick born 1875
    Albert Edward born 1877

However, thereafter they disappear. They seem to be in Ontario Canada and this is where Albert was born in 1877. Could some one kindly let me know when they emigrated and where they were living.

Many thanks,

Sandra
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 30-04-11, 21:54.

Hi,
    They were on the passenger list for the Maitoban, 22 June 1876, London to Quebec.

Charles age 42
    Elizabeth age 20?
    Chas age 7
    Georgina age 5
    Mary age 5
    Elizabeth age 3
    Thomas age 1
    Heading for Toronto as next address
    Last edited by herky; 30-04-11, 23:03.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

To add - in case it helps
      Albert Edward Ashby was b 10 Jan 1877 to parents Charles Henry Ashby and Elizabeth Brinkley.
      Address was 35 Garrison St., Toronto.
      I hope this is the correct family.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There is a Charles H Ashby buried in Toronto Necropolis. You can search here:

You may find this website useful. It has a link to Toronto gen society:

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your responses. I am totally out of my comfort zone with this family being in Canada as generally my lot didn't move very far. Herky it is the correct family. I wonder why they went to Canada, came back, and then went again. Do you know when they went the second time? Elizabeth(Mother of the family) is the sister of one of my direct ancestors this is why I am interested in the family.

Many thanks,

Sandra

Comment

I will have another look.
            herky

Comment

This is interesting - another voyage but in 1873 from Liverpool to Quebec on the Circassian
              I can't make it all out but here is what I have.

Charles,39
              Elizabeth, 26
              William, 17
              Emma, 15
              Emily, 13
              Chas, 4
              Georgina 2,
              Mary A, 2
              Elizabeth 1

I will PM you.
              herky

Comment

Another voyage from Liverpool to Quebec in July 1884.
                herky

Comment

Another bit of info-
                  Daughter Georgina married Arthur Edward Parker, same age and also b in England on 11 Nov 1891 in York, Ontario, Canada.
                  Son Charles married Grace Crowe in Dec 1891.
                  Daughter Mary Ann married James George Allin in July 1896.

Now when looking for the older children's marriages I get another name for the mother - am I correct in assuming that Elizabeth was Charles second wife - given the ages of the older children?
                  For example I have a marriage of Emily - she appears in one of the shipping lists - 1873, I think.
                  There is a marriage for Emily in 1879 - parents given as Charles and Emily. However Emily (the bride) is listed as being born in Stepney, London. There is another marriage with the same mother's name.
                  Do you have Charles as previously married to Emily?

EDIT - I have just checked the 1861 and 1871 censuses - although his age is way out I think it is the same family with Charles married to Emily in 1861 and married to Elizabeth in 1871.
                  Charles was b in Ramsgate, Kent but living in London.
                  Or am I on the wrong track - not unknown for me!!!!!
                  Last edited by herky; 01-05-11, 10:07.
                  herky

Comment

Hi Herky,

Elizabeth Brinkley was Charles Ashby's second wife. They married in Bethnal Green 15 July 1868. I have the marriage details from an image off ancestry. This shows Charles to be a widow. Also there are all the children's baptisms including one for William - this appears to be the son of his first wife Emily Jane who, I think, he married in 1850.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                    X