WW1 record - really long shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 record - really long shot

Hi this is a real long shot but wondered if anyone could see if they could find a WW1 service record for a John Smith.

He was the brother of my great grandfather Solomon Smith and I knew he served in WW1 in the Royal Artillery and heard a wee story that his brother was also in the war but that is all I know - sorry

According to the 1911 census John was 17 (Solomon was 15) and his place of birth was Limehouse or Stepney. His parents were Solomon and Mary Ann Smith and they were living at 19 St Thomas Road, Mile End. His occupation was the same as his brother Solomon - a wood sawyer labourer.

It's such a long shot with a name like John Smith but wondered if anyone can help.

Many thanks

Steven

You may be in luck! There is a WW1 service record for a John Smith who may be your man. This one lived at 135 Canal Rd., Mile End and was 22 years 2 months when he enlisted on 24th January 1916. His occupation was sawyer (later on it says circular sawyer) and his next of kin was his father Solomon Smith of the same address. Later on it gives his n.o.k as Mrs M A Smith same address. Place of birth Limehouse

He was a gunner I think in the Royal Field Artillery. There are several pages although some have very little on (and some are blank)
    Jackie

Comment

Jackie what can I say surely this must be my man - father and mother both match as does age, address and occupation. I know that the Smith's also stayed an Canal Road so looks 100%. Wow what can I say

Does it look as though he survived the War? Unfortunately I don't have access to Ancestry any longer and is there ant mention of any medals or his regimental number?

Cannot thank you enough and very kind

Steven

Comment

Steven

Have replied to your PM - he did survive the war.
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie

Steven

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help Jackie and I knew the address in Canal Road rang a bell. On his father Solomon's death certificate in 1941 it lists the adress as 135 Canal Road, Mile End. The information you gave me was fantastic

I had a look for a marriage for John Smith in freebmd but no luck but that is maybe stretching things too far!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Hi guys,

Did you notice there appears to be two sets of service records for John on ancestry? one set has 7 images the other has 35 & if you go back a page from the start of this set there is also another page for him...

PM sent re medals

EDIT - Other set of records is a duplicate of the first
              Last edited by jadzia; 01-05-11, 09:38.
              Ness

Comment

I have been looking for a marriage for John. This is a really long shot but I have only found one marriage for a John Smith in Mile End (with no middle name listed):

John Smith & Sarah L Mower, Oct Nov Dec 1917, Mile End old town London, Vol:1c, Page: 573.

Of course this may or may not be him but I thought it was worth putting it on here just incase the brides name rings any bells with you or your family...

As you can imagine there are lots of other John Smith Mile end marriages but with middle names & lots of John Smith marriges in other parts of London (with or without middle names). And the other thing is he may not have married at Mile End at all.

Last edited by jadzia; 01-05-11, 03:55. Reason: Added a bit
                Ness

Comment

Thanks Ness Jackie very kindly sent me some information on what I presume is the larger records and I now know its him for sure

Might be worth ordering the certificate and if I am lucky that would be great

Really appreciate your help

Steven
                  Last edited by stevie2006; 01-05-11, 13:17.

Comment

Thanks for the information Ness very kind of you and between you and Jackie you have managed the find the proverbial needle in a haystack - John Smith!!!!!!! Really tempted to try the marriage certificate. Tried to find a birth or death certificate for a few hours last night on freebmd but hopeless but to be honest the War record gave me such a good insight. It also looks as though he served in Salonika and never knew any of that but great to see another Smith in the Royal Artillery - that was Solomon and John in WW1 and Robert (my grandad) in WW2

Steven

Comment

Steven,

Could the Mrs. M.A.Smith mentioned as n.o.k. actually be referring to his mother Mary Ann, rather than a new wife?

His Military History Sheet shows he was mostly abroad in different theatres, and may not have had much time in London to think of marrying!

Carol

Comment

I would agree that looks like his mother Carol

Steven

Comment

There is no mention of a wife in John's service record so I am guessing the one in 1917 might not be the right one. Far too many marriages for John Smith and so many deaths I lost count !!!!!!!!! I think I just need to be thankful for what Jackie and Ness found me.

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Working...
                          X