Windows 7 - error 651

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 - error 651

Please can some help me with this error that keeps cropping up when I try and connect my net book to my ISP.
    The instructions tell me to select the ON switch for WIFI - OK
    Then plug into the mains - OK
    Attach the Yellow Lead - OK

Now a wizzard should appear - but it does not. If I dig deep I can find one but I never get past Error 651.

This is an Acer Aspire Netbook but as it is a budget line just incase my PC goes down I do not fancy paying a vast sum of money to get it fixed.

I am told that it is a common problem but hard to fix and as I never get onto the internet I cannot download new drivers etc.

Does this mean that I need a Dongle which I may only use once a year for a few days? Would it work anyway?
    How long does 1 GB dongle last is it just an hour or what please. Any help or advice gratefully received.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 26-04-11, 21:35.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Have you tried: http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...-in-windows-7/

Alternately you could get a wireless router rather than using the Modem which I assume is what the yellow lead is.
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

While I plug straight into the telephone line as I only had the one computer until last week. My router is a D Link which says that it is wireless.
      According to the net book instructions I need to use the cable on the net book to create the set up and then click wireless. But error 651 crops up almost straight away and will not let me go on line at all.
      It would appear that thousands of people have this problem but I am not so clever as them to fix it. I will take a look at the link and thank you for sending it to me.
      As this is just an extra pc (net book) for a bit of fun and to use while away from home I do not think it worth paying from £50.00 to the engineer to sort it and it may invalidate my guarantee.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

have you got an icon in the taskbar near the clock which indicates the network status of your netbook.... if so, and the router is wireless with the wireless turned on, it should detect the wireless network..

The error you are reporting is one related to dialup rather than an issue which would occur over either wireless or a network cable..

Whilst thousands of people may be seeing this error code, it does not necessarily indicate that their problem is the same as yours as the code covers a wide variety of scenarios

What is the wizard that they are stating should appear, and who is stating this ??
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
        X