1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census

Louisa Jennie Bradford was born in 1888 in Poplar, London (actually the Isle of Dogs).
    In 1891 she is in Wolborough, Devon aged 2 with her grandparents. Her parents were out of the picture.
    In 1901 she is in Sculcoates, Hull aged 12, a visitor. Her grandmother had died in Sculcoates in 1900 (haven't yet worked out why they were there) and her grandfather in Newton Abbot workhouse (presumably in the infirmary) in 1899. Louisa married in 1916 in Edlingham, Northumberland.

So where is she in 1911? The closest match I can find is Harriet Louisa Bradford living in Epping, Essex aged 23 b. Shoreditch. The name is wrong and I have no idea why she should be in Epping. Could SKS please pm me details of who she is with, in the hope that this will shed some light. Or is anyone able to suggest a likelier name or geographical match (perhaps a mistranscription)?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

In 1911 she was in South Shields with Sarah Rutherford (who was also in the household in 1901). She was listed as Louie Bradford, born Millwall.
    Last edited by JudithM; 27-04-11, 07:25.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

oh poo I saw that ?? but thought Millwall was nowhere near Poplar ?? clever you

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        oh poo I saw that ?? but thought Millwall was nowhere near Poplar ?? clever you
        They are right next door to one another - Isle of Dogs, docklands area. I struck lucky because I decided to search for Sarah Rutherford in the hope Louise had been with her rather than visiting separately in 1901.

Comment

I'm useless on areas

Comment

Yes Margaret that's the household I found last night and posted above. I didn't give all the details as didn't want to abuse FMP's terms and conditions and anyway Uncle John has 1911 access and the name Louie Bradford should be enough for him to find her.

Comment

Hi everyone and thanks for all your efforts.
              Louisa was born in East Ferry Road, which is the Isle of Dogs spine road. So Poplar and Millwall are equally correct or incorrect!
              I remember the 1901 census entry from when I first looked for Louisa about 3 years ago, but I had forgotten the detail. I haven't yet found a family connection to the Fairer or Rutherford names.
              1911 - no I don't have a sub. I think Sarah Rutherford must have informally adopted Louisa after the deaths of all her living relatives. Her mother died in 1898 and her father died in 1907 in Germany.
              I'll now have a look into Sarah Rutherford to see how she connects. I wonder where her husband is.

Comment

Just a thought - if Margaret could pm the information to me, her post could then be deleted.

Comment

Sorry UJ I should have realised that if you were asking for details you must only have accessed free search - have pm'd you. I played with tracing Sarah last night. She seems to have come from a similar area to Louise's grandparents and was married to a seaman. Was with husband, Walter in 1891 census.

Comment

I've now found Walter on a ship in 1901 as well as the family in 1891 in Westoe, South Shields.

This has got me looking once more for Louisa's father, Henry James Bradford.
                    Born 1860 West Teignmouth, Devon
                    1861 and 1871 in West Teignmouth with parents.
                    Married 1886 Brompton, London
                    Divorced 1889
                    Captain's certificate issued 1897 in South Shields
                    Died 1906 when his ship was in a collision on the River Elbe, Germany.
                    I can't find any trace of him in any census after 1871.

Comment

I've deleted my post as suggested now UJ has the details by PM.
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X