John Eusebius Fenemore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Eusebius Fenemore

In the 1901 I have two John Fenemore in the District York Infantry Barracks one a lance corporal age 19 born Birmingham and the other a private age 18 born Birmingham.

In the 1911 census I have a Eusebius Fenemore (Eusibious in FMP) in Rawlpindi as a sergeant in the army RG14PN34987 RD641 SD12 ED3 SN9999 age 29 born Birmingham.

I have a John Eusebius Finnemore q1 1882 in Birmingham.

In my family I have the 1891 census in Birmingham a John Fenemore son of Charles H and Lucy (Finnemore in census) age 9 born Birmingham.

I feel Eusebius must be John Eusebius Finnemore but where is he in the 1891 census 1901 and where is my John son of Charles & Lucy in the 1911 census and is it my John in the 1901 census in the army

HELP!!!!
    Last edited by Mike Fisher; 26-04-11, 21:25.
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

In the 1911 census I have a Eusebius Fenemore (Eusibious in FMP) in Rawlpindi as a sergeant in the army RG14PN34987 RD641 SD12 ED3 SN9999 age 29 born Birmingham.
    Looking at the image, I can understand why it was transcribed as Eusibious. That's what the script looks like.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In both cases it's the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers... so it's the same regiment.

Perhaps there are some regimental records?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

b 1882q1 Birmingham : John Eusebius FINNEMORE
        1891 RG12/2411 fo 133 p 41: 62, Heath Place, Wright Street, Bordesley, Birmingham ~ John FINNEMORE age 9(b Birmingham)
        1901 RG13/4448 fo 138 p 3 or 8: Fulford, York ; ~ John FENEMORE age 19 and 18 (b Birmingham) ~ 1st Northumberland Fusiliers
        1911 RG14/34987 RD641 SD12 ED3 SN9999: West Ridge Rawalpindi ~ Eusibious FENEMORE age 29 (b Birmingham) ~ 1st Northumberland Fusiliers

Note that, once in the army, the spellings entered are not his own responsibility.

It certainly looks like one person to me.

Christine

Comment

The death of John Eusibious FENEMORE (6658), Sgt, 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, is recorded on the CWGC website.
          d 24 August 1914
          "Son of Mrs. Lucy Fenemore, of 82, Wright St., Small Heath, Birmingham."
          Memorial: LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL

This ties in with this Lucy FENEMORE at 82 Wright St, Small Heath, Birmingham, in 1911:
          RG14/18209 RG78/1100 RD385 SD2 ED20 SN306: a widow (m 32 years; children: 8-6-2), aged 56, b Birmingham
          There's a daughter, Violet, as well, which ties in withJohn's sister in 1891.

I think we've joined up the dots as well as you could.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-04-11, 23:36.

Comment

So despite the two entries in the 1901 census there is only one John Fenenmore ?
            Must admit I had not thought of him dying in WW1 and that is my John Fenemore
            Thanks
            Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
              So despite the two entries in the 1901 census there is only one John Fenenmore ?
              Must admit I had not thought of him dying in WW1 and that is my John Fenemore
              Thanks
              I think he must have been entered twice - even though it's at the same place. I suspect that, if someone were interested enough, they could take a list of all names at that address, and see if there are other duplicates. I think it's very unlikely that there were two recruits with same PoB, of almost the same age, and with the same unusual name serving with the same regiment at the same depot. Having said that... it could happen if they were cousins, say, - and that could explain one changing from using John to using Eusebius, to avoid confusion. You'd need to check back and see if there's any trace of another John FENEMORE (or variant) with a plausible DoB/PoB combination similar enough to be confused with yours.

I hadn't thought of the WW1 death, until I found it mentioned in the FMP lists, and then I looked at the CWGC site, to get more detail.

Christine

Comment

With regards to the Fenemore family John E has a 1 year younger brother William Henry (q4 1883 Birmingham)who I can't find in the 1901 census but is in the the Northumberland Fusiliers barracks in the 1911 census , he marries in 1907 in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Could he be the young John in the 1901 census?
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

That does sound possible. Someone writing in the names of those two Fenemore lads - and putting the same first name for both.

Christine

Comment

Thought there might be something in the Times or the London Gazette, but I can't see anything there. But I did only look with FENEMORE, none of the variants.

Christine

Comment

There's a WW1 medal card (WO 372/7; 41078 / 8687) for:
                      Medal Card of John E Fenemore 1st Northumberland Fusiliers 6658 Serjeant .
                      and another (WO 372/24; 20604 / 26269) for:
                      Medal Card of Fenemore J E Northumberland Fusiliers 6658 Serjeant .

There's also (WO 372/7; 41088 / 8689)
                      Medal Card of W H Fenemore West Riding Regiment 10526 Serjeant .
                      who may or may not be one of yours.

If you have an Ancestry sub, then they should all be there. Otherwise they're £2 for each separate set of images (and there are three different ones above) from DocumentsOnline.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine

I have those and also the service and pension records of William Henry Fenemore. I am still missing his death entry. His wife Sylvia dies in 1969 in Teeside North age 87

Thanks for your input
                        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Working...
                        X