Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find these Copperwheats please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find these Copperwheats please?

I have, in 1861 in Aldershot, Hampshire, Robert Copperwheat, born abt 1819 in Asinton? Hertfordshire, occ. Tailor
    with wife Eliza, born abt 1818 in Chertsey, Surrey
    son Leonard, born 1849, Kingston, Surrey
    son George, born 1851 Ditton, Surrey
    daughter Elizabeth, born 1853, Eton, Berkshire
    daughter Jemima, born 1855 Windsor, Berkshire (my relative by marriage).

Robert married Eliza Turner in 1841 at St Pancras Chapel, London.

In 1881 Robert & Eliza are living in Paddington with daughter Elizabeth.
    In 1891 a widowed Robert is living with his son George and family in Paddington.
    In both those census Robert gives his birthplace as City of London.

I cannot find Robert in any other census. His daughter Jemima married in 1880 so she should be with him & Eliza in 1871, but I cannot find any of the family.

In 1851 Robert & Eliza should be with their son Leonard aged 2 and possibly son George, born 1851. As both sons were born around Kingston-upon-Thames I would think the family should be in this area.

Can anyone find them please?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

I've just found Robert in 1871, with sons George & Walter (wonder where he was in 1861?) at 48 Union Street, Aldershot. Mistranscribed on Ancestry as Coppernheat.
    No sign of wife Eliza or daughters Elizabeth & Jemima or son Leonard though.

Still can't find the family in 1841 or 1851 though.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

1851:
      HO107 1604 50 12

With a stepson (Eliza's son I gather) and two older sons

Comment

Here are Eliza and the girls in 1871, with her son and his family:

RG10 816 61 29

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post

RG10 816 61 29

Hi Zoe

I've seen people post similar reference numbers in the past, but I would have no idea how or where to look them up. Can you help, please?

Thanks
          STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Hi there,

On FMP, if you go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/referenceSearch.action you can enter the details there.

On Ancestry you have to select the relevant census first, so Search - Census & Electoral Roles, select the UK census you want on the right-hand side and then at the bottom of the screen which appears click the entry for the England census and you will get a screen where you can enter the references above.

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post

On Ancestry you have to select the relevant census first, so Search - Census & Electoral Roles, select the UK census you want on the right-hand side and then at the bottom of the screen which appears click the entry for the England census and you will get a screen where you can enter the references above.
              Hum.

I've gone to Search, Census & Electoral Rolls.
              Selected UK census for 1851 and then selected the England census.
              Then I'm stuck.
              On the l/h side are the boxes to fill in person's name, where they lived, dob, other family members info etc, and
              On the r/h side it gives options of:

County (with drop down options)
              Civil Parish (with dd options)
              Sub-Registration District (with dd options)

but I can't see anywhere to put in something like RG10 816 61 29

Is it right under my nose and I just can't see it?

Comment

you need to go to the old search to use census references ,to the right is the option to go to old search

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  you need to go to the old search ....

Ah ha!

I'm "new" this year to Ancestry so didn't know about "old" search.

Thanks Val.

STG

Comment

Sorry, I forgot I had the old search selected!

Comment

And I forgot to apologise to LangleyValeSue for hijacking this thread.

Sorry, Sue.

STG

Comment

That's fine STG - I didn't know how to find it from the reference either :o

Thanks zoejg. Now why couldn't I find them?

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

did you both manage to find what you were looking for ????

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            did you both manage to find what you were looking for ????
                            I did. Thanks Val.

STG

Comment

thats good

Comment

Hallo, I'm new here drawn by this post searching for Copperwheats. I am descended from Eliza Turner ( Robert's wife) via her older son Carey Turner (I am her great, great, great, grand daughter) and I have quite a lot of info on the Copperwheats in question including some passed down family stuff, reasons people were named certain things etc and some photographs. You are more than welcome to scans / explanations of anything I have and I would welcome any info you might have about them as well, as the two families stayed in touch and were very linked for a very long time (well into the 1920's+).
                                Thanks ( so excited to have found this;-)

Comment

Welcome to FTF, bipolarbear. It looks as if LangleyValeSue is around, so you should get a response without having to send a PM to attract her attention.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, don't know how I've managed not to find this site before, it's great

Comment

Hi bipolarbear.

Jemima Copperwheat was married to my 3x G grandmother's youngest son from her 2nd marriage. His name was Frederick William Colburn, born abt 1852 in Winchester, Hampshire and died 1927 in Lambeth, London. Jemima died in 1943, also in Lambeth.

I'm afraid I had forgotten all about this thread and the Copperwheats and haven't researched them further. I don't know if there were any children from the marriage and I haven't even added Jemima's family to my Family Tree Maker so I guess I must have the notes on this family in my handwritten files. Unfortunately these are packed away at the moment as we are having building work done and I can't get to them. :(

I'm really sorry I can't give you a better response to your post, I know how exciting it is to finally find someone researching the same family as you. Hopefully by early Summer I should be able to get to my paperwork again and will see if I have anything more in my notes.

Sorry once again that I can't give you better news. :(

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thank you Sue that's wonderful-I was unaware of the Colburn marriage so that's given me a whole new avenue to explore coming forward, which is what I want as I have them going back a long way before this
                                        Good luck with your home improvments and thanks once again

Comment

Working...
                                        X