Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of hospital was St Marylebone Infirmary ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of hospital was St Marylebone Infirmary ?

I have a birth certificate of a relative with a place of birth in 1921 being 12 Exmoor Street, Kensington which I now know was the St Marylebone Infirmary (later St Charles' Hospital). The informant is neither of the parents, although both are named, and is described as "occupier" A.G.Commings. The child was born to an unmarried mother. Presumably, in those pre-NHS days, a hospital would have been set up by a private benefactor for specific types of the population e.g. poor, unmarried etc. Does anyone know what sort of hospital St Marylebone Infirmary was ?

Why would the place of birth on the certificate not be named as "St Marylebone Infirmary" ?

Any ideas ?
    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

This may give you some information about it

Edna

added Edit

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...nBWheg&cad=rja PDF Document download
    Last edited by clematised; 24-04-11, 23:20.

Comment

In the Midlands ,Kings Norton Union Workhouse infirmary is shown as 1a Raddlebarn Rd (now Selly Oak Hospital). Solihull's equivalent was 1 Lode Lane. These are given in Birth and Death cert's from 1890's onward when there was a political correctness gathering against the "workhouse"
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Not so much political correctness but a reflection of the general fear of the workhouse I think
        Even in 1950, when I was born at the local hospital (housed in old workhouse buildings) the address on my birth certificate just showed number and name of road, no mention of the hospital.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

A decision was taken some time in the late 1890s/early 1900s by the Registrar General, that only street addresses would appear on bmd certificates, not the names of institutions.

This reflected the general shame about being born or dying in an institution.

OC

Comment

I imagine a politician under pressure told the Registrar General to do it at a time when more of the lower class were getting the vote.
            Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
            http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

No Mike, it was done long before universal franchise!

OC

Comment

Thanks for the link, clematised.

It is not because the hospitals were connected to the Unions which managed the workhouses that the hospitals were also workhouses. It became more common to go to hospital to have your baby by the end of the 19th century with great numbers of deaths as a result as doctors did not wash their hands when they came from surgery (yuck). It was after they discovered this strange relation between hospital and death of fever after delivery as opposed to healthy mothers who had their babies at home that hospitals changed their cleaning policies. Probably more than half of the patients in these hospitals went back home when they were cured.

I got a bit confused there as my husband has an ancestor, a hairdresser, who died in 1886 in Marylebone Infirmary, but his widow carries on happily with her three children, one of which is about 8 at the time his father dies. I suppose she struggled on to raise her children as well as possible for the first few years until they could work. As far as I can see, they did all pretty well, considering. The man who died there in 1886 had been in the workhouse, briefly, I suspect, as an orphan in the 1850s, but was never seen there again.

Comment

Working...
                X