Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Esther and her children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Esther and her children?

Hi there,
    I've been trying to track this family for quite a while with no success and wonder if anyone could help:

Esther BOWN b 1801 married Joseph PEARSON in Twycross in 1825
    They had four children (that I know of):

Francis 1829
    Sarah 1830
    William 1832
    Ellen 1840

Joseph died in Q1 1841 in Ashby. I have Esther and the four children living in Swepstone (Ashby) in the 1841 census:

HO107 / 596 / 8/7 / 6

Esther is listed as living on independent means.
    I cannot trace Esther, William, or Ellen after this date. I can't find a likely marriage or death for Esther, she just seems to disappear.

BTW, just to save people looking, I do know what happened to Francis (my direct ancestor) and Sarah.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me find out what happened to the others!

Zoe

Edit: Although I know what happened to Sarah eventually, I can't find her in 1851 or 1861. I have found Francis in all censuses, so he will NOT be with the rest of the family.
    Last edited by zoejg; 23-04-11, 11:32. Reason: Additional information

burial 7 Mar 1841 Joseph Pearson age 40 St Peter, Swepstone, LEI
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
      Although I know what happened to Sarah eventually, I can't find her in 1851 or 1861.
      If you have found Sarah in a later census, what does she give as place of birth?
      Elaine

Comment

what about in 1861
        RG09 2260 40 30

William Preson Head a Bricklayer born 1833 Hinkley Leicestershire
        Sarah J Preson Sister a Dressmaker born 1837 Hinkley Leicestershire

living at Church Street Hinkley ????

could be mistranscribed ????

ignore that looks like Sarah is too young ?
        Last edited by Guest; 23-04-11, 13:00.

Comment

Thanks for the burial, Mike!

Elaine, her birth place in the 1871 census was Ashby-de-la-Zouch (Swepstone is part of the Ashby district). She was in a hospital, listed as an imbecile. Her brother Francis was born in Swepstone/Ashby, too. I the 1841 census they are all listed as born in county, i.e. Leicestershire.

Comment

there is a marriage for a William Pearson in Ashby
            June 1847 to a Georgiana Nicholls

Comment

Thanks for the possible in 1861 Val, but I don't think it's them because actually the image looks like "Preston" to me, Sarah's age is wrong and I'm doubt she was a dressmaker because she was an imbecile since birth. Am going to check the other two leads now, thanks to all for the help!

Comment

I don't think the William Pearson who married Georgiana is the right one, either unfortunately. I've found them in the 1851 census and he was born in 1826 in Polesworth, Warks. Can't rule out the possible for Sarah in 1851. Does anyone know what exactly was meant by "imbecile" at the time, as in degree of severity? I mean, would an imbecile have been able to work at all?

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
                  Does anyone know what exactly was meant by "imbecile" at the time, as in degree of severity?
                  There is a thread on Rootschat which helps to explain the term
                  Elaine

Comment

that Sarah in 1851 is mistranscribed as Payser on FMP

Comment

I looked at the image, though, and it didn't look like Pearson to me

Comment

1851 this one is odd
                        H0107 2084 79 18
                        Sarah Pearson Daughter born 1835 Sweepstone a servant living in Appleby Hall ,Appleby ,Ashby de la Zouch
                        with

Joseph Smith Father
                        Sarah Smith Mother ???

Comment

Hi Val, yes I've seen that one before and had again dismissed it due to the "imbecile" thing but having read the thread Elaine kindly posted the link to, it appears that there was quite a lot of fluidity and flexibility in the use of the word "imbecile". So I now think that looks quite hopeful, the image does clearly say Pearson not Smith and I guess that if her mother Esther died young then they may have taken her on as their own (although I can't find a death for her mother as yet, the nearest is in Warwick but it's an Esther Ann Pearson, it's possible I suppose but as yet I can't find any evidence connecting the family to Warwick).

Comment

there is that Marriage for a Sarah Pearson to Joseph Smith in Dec 1844 Ashby is she yours ??

Comment

There is a marriage on freeBMD which could match the Joseph Smith / Sarah Pearson combination

Marriages Dec 1844
                              BROOKS Maria
                              Byard John
                              Hastall Henry
                              HEAFIELD Elizabeth
                              HEAFIELD Thomas
                              PEARSON Sarah
                              SADDINGTON Elizabeth
                              SMITH Joseph
                              Ashby De La Zh 15 1
                              Elaine

Comment

That looks very promising, thanks both. I guess my problem now is to try to go backwards from Joseph Pearson who died in 1841 and then forwards again to try to find another Sarah Pearson (i.e. the one who married Joseph Smith)... easier said than done, though, because there were loads of Pearsons from the Ashby area and I don't have a date of birth for him!

Comment

In the 1851/61 census a lot of workhouses and institutions only recorded the inmates by Initials so Sarah would be down as SP age and place of birth given as best they could

As she is in Lei & Rutland Asylum in 1871 search the institution for the previous census
                                  Last edited by Mike Fisher; 23-04-11, 14:48.
                                  Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Going off on a tangent - did you realize that baptisms for Sarah (22 Nov 1829) and Francis (21 Apr 1828) appear to be indexed on FamilySearch?

Comment

IGI batch no C055801 Pearson with parents Joseph & Esther.

1. SARAH PEARSON - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Female Christening: 22 NOV 1829 Swepstone, Leicester, England
                                      2. JOHN PEARSON - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Male Christening: 14 MAY 1826 Swepstone, Leicester, England
                                      3. WILLIAM PEARSON - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Male Christening: About 18 DEC 1831 Swepstone, Leicester, England
                                      4. FRANCIS PEARSON - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Male Christening: 21 APR 1828 Swepstone, Leicester, England
                                      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Working...
                                      X