Oswald Glover, born Hoyland, Yorkshire about 1887, d. Salonika 9 Oct 1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oswald Glover, born Hoyland, Yorkshire about 1887, d. Salonika 9 Oct 1918

I've looked on Ancestry (where I have a sub), and can find him on the list of UK soldiers died in the Great War, and have also found his medal card, but can't find his enlistment/service records.

Could anyone help/advise, please?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

His service record should be at Kew, but I don't think the records of soldiers killed in action are online.

Comment

Thanks Mary, but I've accessed other KIA relatives info from Ancestry which is why I was puzzled about Oswald's not being available.

Comment

It may be one of the many records which sadly hasn't survived.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          It may be one of the many records which sadly hasn't survived.
          That's what I was afraid of.

I've already come across it with another relative. Although found his enlistment/service record for WWI, his previous 12yrs with the Royal Berkshire Regiment can't be traced anywhere, so we believe those to be among the records that didn't survive too.

Ah well, was worth asking.

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            I've already come across it with another relative. Although found his enlistment/service record for WWI, his previous 12yrs with the Royal Berkshire Regiment can't be traced anywhere.
            Have you checked the Findmypast website?
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Have you checked the Findmypast website?
              I posted about it on here (I think) and a couple of people looked on FMP, but couldnt find anything.

Comment

Sorry to be replying to myself, but could someone please look Oswald up on the 1911 census for me please?

Comment

I don't have a sub to the 1911 census, but you'll find him on the free search, living in Todmorden. These are probably the other members of the household:

GLOVER / HARRIET / F / 1862 / 49
                  GLOVER / OSWALD / M / 1887 / 24
                  GLOVER / JAMES / M / 1889 / 22
                  GLOVER / ANN / F / 1892 / 19
                  GLOVER / MARY / F / 1894 / 17
                  GLOVER / ANNIE / F / 1895 / 16
                  GLOVER / DAVID / M / 1899 / 12
                  GLOVER / WALTER / M / 1903 / 8

Harriet is the head of the household, and Oswald's shown as her son.

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Comment

Oh, thanks. I never think to look at th free index - perhaps because I've tried in the past and failed to find hardly anyone I waslooking for.

STG

Edited to say: How exactly did you do that? I can find Oswald, and I can find a shed load of Glovers in Todmorden, but I can't find the specific household that you did. What were your search criteria, please?
                    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 22-04-11, 15:48.

Comment

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...asualty=332522 This link shows you details of Oswald Glover and the cemetery where he is buried, he was my great uncle. Ive also just seen "Mary from Italy" all these are my relatives, James was my grandfather. Also just to let you know Oswald wasn't actually killed in action, he died of Flu, just before the war ended. My uncle who is 89 years old is still alive and he is a mindful of information and told me all about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                        Edited to say: How exactly did you do that? I can find Oswald, and I can find a shed load of Glovers in Todmorden, but I can't find the specific household that you did. What were your search criteria, please?
                        Sorry, I've only just noticed your edit.

Once you've found Oswald, delete his Christian name, date and place of birth, leaving just his surname, and select the county and town where he's living, then enter his Christian name among "Other members of the household".

This will bring up all the Glovers in that town who have an Oswald in the household, so if the name isn't too common, you should just get one household.

You can then click on "Show advanced fields" and work out their relationships to the head by guesswork (try entering son, daughter, etc. to see if you get any hits).
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-05-11, 14:59.

Comment

Only about 30 percent of records survived, lost in the bombing and subsequent fire at Arnside Street, the then repository.
                          I have 8 members of my family who fought in the GW and the records of only 3 of them are still around.
                          David
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X