Killing the right person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing the right person?

Ages ago I was looking for a death.An entry on the I.G.I indicated a date in July 1860 (Milton Dolland).I eventually found a death in a Liverpool Hospital,the right date,age and occupation(mariner)I was looking for,but name transcribed as Dollard and the informant was someone from the hospital and not his wife.When I look at the writing ,the penultimate letter could be an"r" or an "n".On Ancestry (Liverpool Records) I have found a record of his burial and again there is confusion over that letter! I really need to be sure that I have killed off the right person.Could you please give me your opinions.Am I just clutching at straws because the names look similar?
    Fran

I've just looked at the burial on Ancestry. I would have read it as Dollard without any doubt. That doesn't mean it's not the man you want, of course!

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

As there is only a handful of any Dollands doing anything ever on Freebmd and even fewer DollaRds, never mind ones called MILTON - I would say without doubt this is your man.

OC

Comment

Thank you Scuda and OC. I had made my mind up some time ago that I had the right chap.I had looked for Miltons till I was blue in the face,but there was still that little niggle, especially as I have now confirmed the Baptism of his "daughter" in Dec.1863. Now I am going to have to tell the person who thought he was her Great Grandfather that he was no relative at all.
        Fran

Comment

Could be a late bp? - not all children were baptised as babies, especially if there had been a family problem!
          Have you found a corresponding birth reg?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes Janet, the birth was registered December 1863.
            Fran

Comment

Working...
            X