This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library: British Library - India Office COMPLETED

Following on from my "Indian Death - 3rd European Regiment" thread, I have discovered there should be records at the India Office which might help me learn more about Thomas Pittman. The APAC department at the British Library has sent me the references, but I can't get to London. Is anyone able to check this out for me please? I can let you have the references, and (of course) any copying expenses.

Thanks,

scuda
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-07-11, 23:34. Reason: amend heading: task completed
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

I have a BL reader's card, but go only quite rarely. Rather as I've just said to Jebbo, about the Warwick RO, Don't hold your breath! I've made a note of your query to follow it up if/when I next go. I shan't get offended if someone else manages to get the info you need before I get there.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. Would you like the references now so that you have them available just in case, or would you rather wait until you know you're going to the BL (or until I let you know it's been dealt with)?

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Probably best if you put the refs here, so that there's no delay, if my trip is spontaneous!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is from the email I received from the British Library:

"There should be entries for Thomas Pit(t)man in the following records:
          Depot Registers: Infantry recruits, L/MIL/9/46
          Registers of EIC European Soldiers: Bengal, L/MIL/10/129

As Thomas died in India there may be either a soldiers will or estate for him:
          Soldiers Wills, 1845-1867 [the majority of the wills are for 1855/57] - s/mark: L/AG/34/30/12
          Index to estates of deceased soldiers, Bengal 1792-1888 - s/mark: Z/L/AG/34/17"

Thanks, scuda

Comment

Scuda

Have made a note to myself to check whether or not your enquiry is still outstanding when I next go to Kings X/BL.

Carol

Comment

Thanks Carol

scuda

Comment

Completed

Hi Christine, Carol and anyone else who might have been thinking of helping me with this, I've just had a couple of days in London and managed to grab an hour at the British Library. I was able to look at the records for Thomas Pittman, so I no longer need your help. Many thanks for your offers, though.

scuda

Comment

Thank you for remembering to let us know!

I reckon I should be able to amend your first-post heading ti include "Completed"

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X