Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone researching for Leicestershire bought anything here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone researching for Leicestershire bought anything here ?

Has anyone bought anything from this site ?

I was thinking that the one name study might be a good idea for my Hudsons

Have just had a look at the parishes they cover....Kegworth & Shepshed (the ones I'm interested in at the moment) aren't included, though, no doubt, I'll get to some of the others in due course. That's the problem with border families....the other 2 parishes I'm focussing on at the moment are only just inside Notts

Comment

I hadn't heard of them before - I've got a few things from the Leicestershire and Rutland FHS, but it depends where you're interested in:

This site looks promising for the South Derbyshire area (near the Leics/Notts border), although they don't have many parishes yet:

Comment

Looks interesting Grey - I'm quite taken by their Leicester St Margaret parish records, as a lot of mine were there in the early 1800's.

Linda
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
          Have just had a look at the parishes they cover....Kegworth & Shepshed (the ones I'm interested in at the moment) aren't included
          You'll find them on the page of unproofed parishes; registers that they've transcribed, but haven't been proof-read yet, so they're selling them at a lower price.

Comment

Oh, thanks, Mary....I'd thought they were some of the same parishes before they'd been proof-read (made sense to me). Thanks to everyone else too. My Hudsons, I think, will prove to go back into Leicestershire (maybe eventually into Yorkshire....if I ever get that far), but, first, I've got to sort out this lot in the Leics border parishes I mentioned & in Kingston on Soar (just inside Notts)

There's also the old chestnut of my William Asher who married at St Martin's, Leicester & then disappeared completely....he may have later made a bigamous marriage at St Margaret's, Leicester......but he could have come from anywhere.

By the way, how do you "proof read" a parish register ? I thought you just got copies of the register entries & were left to interpret them yourself. Or, when they've been proof read, has someone looked & them & they then tell you what they make of them ?

Comment

I think what they mean is that somebody has transcribed the original parish registers, and then a second person double-checks to see they haven't made any mistakes.

What they're selling to you is their transcription, not a scan of the original register.

I've viewed the St. Margaret's registers at the local LDS centre and some years are dreadful; really hard to decipher.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 22-04-11, 11:57.

Comment

Thanks Mary

Comment

FreeReg has lots of Leicestershire BMDs now.

I've transcribed some parishes for Leicestershire and some of them are impossible to read.
                  Last edited by WendyPusey; 22-04-11, 16:44.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy.....have you got the Kegworth records to look at ? My ggg grandfather's mother is listed as Ann, but the most likely candidate is a Mary, born in Kegworth. Someone has had a look at Mary's baptism for me & says that it's rather difficult to read, but she reckons 2 daughters from the same family were baptised on the same occasion....a Mary & an Ann. Just wondering if it was really one child named Mary Ann or Ann Mary &, for some reason, she used the name Ann for my ggg grandfather's baptism & Mary for her wedding & the baptisms of her other children. I've tried to find out what happened to Ann (assuming she was a separate person from Mary) & I can't find a marriage or death for her.

Comment

No sorry Grey, I only did Leicester, St Nicholas & St Mary plus a few smaller parishes.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks, Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                          Has anyone bought anything from this site ?

I was thinking that the one name study might be a good idea for my Hudsons
                          I have a contact that has brought a few from there and is very pleased with them
                          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                          Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                          Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Sylvia.....that will help a lot (famous last words !)

Comment

Working...
                            X