• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for 2ggrandmother in 1841 census

Hi
    I am looking for Charlotte Scott born 1823 baptism 1825 bulkington
    Need help to locate her on 1841 census
    she married in 1843 nuneaton
    her mother was elizth scott her father according to bastard records is thomas grimes

Hope someone can help locate her on 1841 census

Thanks jebbo

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

Is it possible that she used the name Grimes? There is a Charlotte Grimes in Nuneaton born "1826" (with the rounding down, the age could be right). If it is her, she is not living with either parent.

HO107 1127 17/14 21

Comment

Not sure
      found her bapt
      CHARLOTTES BAPT 8 NOV 1825
      CHARLOTTE SCOTT DAUGHTER OF ELIZABETH SCOTT OF CHILVERS COTON
      ELIZABETHS OCC WEAVER
      then found bastard records
      when charlotte married in 1843 nuneaton she used the name charlotte scott her occ is listed as ribbon weaver
      both her and her husband give no details under fathers name

Its the first bastard record I have found relating to famly
      so don't know if she would have used both names at different times

on charlotte's wedding cert both her and her husband are listed as minors .. can they marry without parent consent
      confused

jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

OK, well the head of the household she's with in 1841 is a "haberdasher" and the man who I assume is the head's son on the basis of their ages is a ribbon weaver, so that might be a positive clue. What address did she marry from on her certificate? This Charlotte was living in Abbey Street, Nuneaton in 1841.
        It seems strange to me though that she didn't list her father for her marriage, since if she's the Charlotte I found, she obviously knew who he was. As for consent, I have come across articles on the net that suggest the parents of an illegitimate child did not have authority to consent or withhold consent, but I can't find anything definitive to back this up.

Comment

Zoejg

I too have read that the mother of an illegitimate child did not have power to consent to a CHURCH marriage - I think civil marriage had different rules.

Where church marriages were concerned, the Vicar or Bishop could give consent where it was otherwise refused, say where a bride was pregnant. I have the marriage of a minor in my tree, admittedly earlier than this, where the Vicar records that consent was given by "her good friends".

OC

Comment

That's a really interesting little snippet, OC, did you ever find out (or surmise) why it was her friends who had given consent?

Comment

She was an orphan and apparently at the time (1797) consent to marriage could be given for a minor by people who would be expected to have her best interests at heart and these were called "good friends".

OC

Comment

Thanks, OC, very interesting!

Comment

Hi
                  They both list Attleborough as place of residence at time of marriage
                  in nuneaton parish church
                  found charlotte husband on 1841 census living
                  in bridge st nuneaton not with his parents
                  but another family member

Thankyou for info on consent , I have not been able to track down Charlotte mother either

Thomas Grimes was from Chilvers coton
                  Charlotte was born in bulkington
                  on charlotte's baptism ... Charlotte bapt 8 nov 1825 daughter of Elizabeth Scott Chilvers Coton occ weaver

there are 2 finds on baptism of Elizth scott I have found so far
                  both fathers are named samuel scott
                  1. samuel scott m mary shepherd 22 april 1788 bulkington c elizth scott baptism 23 nov 1794 bulkington
                  2. samuel scot m martha clark 10 sept 1782 chilvers coton c
                  elizabeth scott baptism 13 may 1798 chilvers coton.

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Well apparently (Google) Abbey Street is in Attleborough so the Charlotte I found still looks likely.

The only Elizabeth Scott of the right age in the 1841 census appears to be married but I did find an interesting entry on the LDS site:

Elizabeth Scott (single) married Richard Brooks (widower) in Nuneaton on 11/2/1834

Maybe a possible?

Here's a possible 1841 for them:

HO107 1127 17/33 22

Comment

Hi
                      Thankyou
                      Checked census elizabeth I think was born in either bulkington or chilvers coton

jebbo

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
                      Well apparently (Google) Abbey Street is in Attleborough so the Charlotte I found still looks likely.

The only Elizabeth Scott of the right age in the 1841 census appears to be married but I did find an interesting entry on the LDS site:

Elizabeth Scott (single) married Richard Brooks (widower) in Nuneaton on 11/2/1834

Maybe a possible?

Here's a possible 1841 for them:

HO107 1127 17/33 22

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Working...
                      X