Indian Death - 3rd European Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Death - 3rd European Regiment

I have found two refences to the death of Thomas Pittman in India in 1858. I believe he is likely to have been the brother of my 2xg grandfather, so I'd like to try to confirm this and find out more about him.

The information is here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/....r/M6G1-NTK/p1

and here: http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/....php?id=776382

(his birthplace in the FIBIS info is what suggests he is 'mine')

As the FIBIS information includes his regimental number would I be able to find more about him at Kew? Or through FIBIS? Can anyone suggest a way forward please?

Thanks, scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

The GRO overseas BMD records are free to access on FMP and familyrelatives.com.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The GRO overseas BMD records are free to access on FMP and familyrelatives.com.
      Thanks Uncle John, I should have said I've already looked at those and can't see him. Anyway, it's not likely to give me anything extra to the death/burial records I have mentioned.

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Have you contacted the India Office at the British LIbrary to see if they hold any service records?
        Elaine

Comment

Have you joined the India Mailing List via rootsweb http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...IND/INDIA.html just subscribe to the list then ask the question once you get a confirmation e mail.
          They are all very helpful and knowledgable.
          1858 was around the time of the Indian Mutiny which was a big date in the history Of the East India Company as it came to an end and the British Govt took over the running of India and lots written about it and possibly something in google books about his death.

Edna

Comment

The problem is, if the Indian Army retained documents following the same rules as for the British Army, then service records would not have been kept for someone who died in service. Still worth a try, though!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your replies, Elaine, Edna and Ann. I've not had to deal with Indian records before (military or otherwise) so I wasn't sure where to look next. I'll try following up on your suggestions - I hope there are some records for him surviving somewhere.

scuda

Comment

All the EIC Records are in the British Library in London as far as I am aware and to join FIBIS will cost about £15

The India List is free to join

Edna

Comment

Edna

Comment

Edna, Thanks for the extra info and link.

scuda

Comment

A link to the India Office, British Library

I have emailed them in the past for information and they have been very helpful.
                      Good luck.
                      Elaine

Comment

I'm following up on the various ideas - just emailed the India Office as you suggested, Elaine, thanks.

scuda

Comment

I've already had a reply to my email to the India Office - very efficient! They give several reference numbers for documents which might (or might not!) help. As I'm nowhere near London I'm posting on the Requests board in the hope that someone will be able to check them for me.

scuda

Comment

I have just received the e mail via the India List so once people around the world start to open them I am sure you will get a response in answer to your queries

Edna

Comment

I have just received the e mail via the India List so once people around the world start to open them I am sure you will get a response in answer to your queries
                              Hope you're right Edna.

scuda

Comment

Oh Edna, I've realised you haven't received anything from me - that's someone else asking about a completely different Thomas Pittman! What a coincidence. I've realised I've prepared mine but decided not to send it until after the holidays.

scuda

Comment

I have read the replies on the India List today and it is me that is confused as the same person here in this thread I shall send you the replies by PM surely there can not be two of the same name and info.

Edna

Comment

The Thomas Pittman on the India List at the moment died in 1831, mine died in 1859. It's strange that someone else is asking about Thomas Pittman in India at the same time as me, though.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                    X