Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry tree problem

Hi All,
    I have found a match on ancestry and contacted the tree owner who has no problem
    with me copying information from his tree.
    Is there a way to "transfer" information from another tree to mine such as names, source citations, facts etc without doing it all "manually" (bit by bit) ?
    I know there is a transfer this person to my tree option, but that seems to put the person anywhere and not tie/match to my tree ?
    Kind regards...... John

Since no one seems to have suggestions, why not try ancestry itself? They answer in a few days. But, when I've asked "How do I" questions, I've usually received answers along the lines of - you can't.

For instance, you can't load a gedcom into an existing tree, or merge two existing individuals in a single tree, or merge two trees - that's what I understood, anyway. And what you're asking sounds very similar to those needs.

In the past I had noticed that tree owners had multiple copies of what appeared to be the same tree. I believe they download a gedcom, do their merges or clean ups with their own computer, then upload the revised tree.

Which means software on your own machine. There are various threads and references about that Gen software that can do that. I finally used PAF to make my merges. Family Historian provides a merge function, too.

Good luck!

Comment

If you have a tree prog on your pc and the other person sends you a ged file of their tree you could merge the two together. To be honest it's better to use an offline programme as your master tree and upload to the online sites from it rather than use an online tree builder as your only method of saorage.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
      X