Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liverpool Record Office Collection - new on Ancestry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool Record Office Collection - new on Ancestry!

I stumbled across this little gem this morning & haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere yet - Ancestry yesterday added a huge collection of Liverpool Parish records with images for the following:

Catholic Confirmations 1813 - 1920
    Baptisms 1813 - 1906
    Marriages & Banns 1813 - 1921
    Burials 1813 - 1974
    Confirmations 1859 - 1921
    Baptisms, Marriages & Burials - 1659-1812
    Catholic Baptisms 1802-1906
    Catholic Marriages 1754 - 1921
    Catholic Burials 1813 - 1988

This is as big as the LMA collection for those of us with Merseyside/Lancashire ancestry - I know how I'll be spending my summer!

You bet me to it - I was just about to say the same - I have already found someone.
    Happy hunting everyone.
    Thanks Arilla.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Great resource, I've already downloaded over 60 marriages, baptisms and burials related to a project I'm currently researching. Helpfully some of the Catholic baptism register seem also to note the later marriage details for the child, especially girls, in the margin. Terrific stuff.

Comment

Brilliant find

Going to take a trip to Essex records office, to get my free access
        to ancestry, an hour at the library is not enough and the PC's
        are so slow

Clare

Comment

Brilliant resource, although has anyone found that burials don't appear to be complete?
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for this! I subscribe to Ancestry and hadn't even noticed. How weird.
            Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

I don't think the LRO collection includes burials at any of the main municipal cemeteries, & from browsing the Ancestry records it seems that the non-Catholic burial records are all from church yards so many burials will not be available online.
              The Catholic burials are much more complete as they include some of the larger Catholic cemeteries - Ford & Yew Tree.
              I'm surprised Ancestry didn't announce this new collection in advance, it's a brilliant addition even though Ancestry's search system seems to struggle with some of the Latin entries from the RC registers... It's particularly useful in view of the current closure of the Liverpool Record Office & the temporary access arrangements in place there. I've had lots of fun saving records today & have found quite a few sibling baptisms I wasn't aware of before. I don't often say it, but today Ancestry has made my day!
              Happy Hunting to all those with Liverpool connections!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Arilla. I wish Ancestry would clarify the coverage!
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/ for those without an Ancestry sub you can view some of the records on here and remember as with many records less info added the more you will find so if at first it is not coming up then try again with a different search/spelling/date ect

Ford Cemetery is there too as well as Alien lists and much more

Edna

Comment

Oh, hadnt seen those. Must have a look - OHs lot are Irish liverpudlians.

Comment

Oh, oh, found one already in the catholic baps. And its fab as I think it confirms the mums maiden name - all the earlier kids were born in Ireland and Id not been able to find them. (Thing is, there was a court case later on and to cut a long story short, my OH' grandfather disparagingly called his estranged wife by the name Fitzgerald although she was a Gordon - I had assumed that this pointed to possibly her parents not being married and therefore her mums name was Fitzgerald.) Im guessing "olim" means nee in which case Fitzgerland it is The boy also has the middle name of Fitzgerald?

The term "patrinus fuit" and matrina fuit" I am guessing is godfather/mother - whoo hoo as that gives me further names I didnt have

Even weirder, Ive found this chap signing up to join the army in Canada in 1916!
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 21-04-11, 19:06.

Comment

Perhaps there are still some to be put on, because some of my people whose registrations are Liverpool district are not there.
                        Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                          Im guessing "olim" means nee
                          It means "formerly" in Latin. I'm not familiar with RC records, so I don't know if they use it to refer to the mother's maiden name.

The term "patrinus fuit" and matrina fuit" I am guessing is godfather/mother
                          That's right. "Fuit" just means "was".

Comment

Thanks Mary. Strangely, I found the bap of another of the children today - Im very sure it is them as the fathers two names are right, right place and the godmother is again the same two names as my OH's gran but on that one it says mother olim O'Dowd. NOW, its in a way beginning to make some sense here. I think it may well be that the mother had been married previously and as catholics didnt divorce at that time, lived with but didnt marry the father. This may well be the reason for the disparaging remark in a letter re OH's gran - in that the letter was addressed to her as Fitzgerald rather than Gordon - the fathers surname- and it questioned the legality of her marriage to OH's grandad. May be she used the Gordon name instead of her true Fitzgerald name. Makes a bit more sense now.

Comment

Working...
                            X