1874 marriage, but who is the spouse and where did the bride come from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1874 marriage, but who is the spouse and where did the bride come from

Bit of unchartered territory this time, can anyone discover the lady noted in bold prior to or after the marriage please, (though which she married is unknown), I am wondering if there may be a big breakthrough about to happen here, then again she might easily be a widow of someone and I have previously missed it!

Marriages Sep 1874 (>99%)
    BOWER Mary Boston 7a 566
    Goulson Sarah Ann W Boston 7a 566
    Potts David Boston 7a 566
    Salter Peter William Boston 7a 566
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

In 1871 there is an unmarried Sarah Ann Goulson aged 23 - Cook Domestic, living in Boston, born Marston Lincolnshire.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think she married Peter Wm Salter. In 1881 it says 33 born Barkstone Lincolnshire. Otherwise it fits though. He is 32 born Boston - a printers compositor. No children yet.

Comment

I can't find a birth or previous marriage for her Glen.

Comment

Most likely death, but no W, just Sarah Ann. Born c1846 - died aged 69 - Sarah Ann Salter - April-June 1915 - Boston 7a 510

Comment

I can't find her any earlier. The nearest that keep coming up is a Sarah Ann Gillison, born Spalding.

Comment

Hmm

Thanks Chrissie, born Marston ties in with a couple of my recent threads and the grocers/fruiterer occupations but I can't find a family she would easily fit into given her year of birth.

Probably pie in the sky till I can get the cert but this might be interesting, either a sister or cousin perhaps? POB and year of death just look interesting.

2. Elizabeth Goulson was born 1828 in Marston,Lincolnshire and died 1874 in Boston, Lincolnshire. She married Henry Wileman 1854 in Newark District. He was born ABT 1826 in Kirton, Lincolnshire.

Other events in the life of Elizabeth Goulson
              Baptism: 20 Apr 1828 in Marston, St Mary`s

Children of Elizabeth Goulson and Henry Wileman:
              i. Elizabeth Ellen Wileman was born ABT 1858 in Kirton, Lincolnshire
              ii. Albert Henry Wileman was born 1862 in Kirton, Lincolnshire
              iii. Ada Marston Wileman was born 1863 in Kirton, Lincolnshire
              iv. Charles Richard Wileman was born 1865 in Kirton, Lincolnshire
              v. William Page Wileman was born 1867 in Kirton, Lincolnshire
              vi. Sarah Kirkham Wileman was born 1869 in Kirton, Lincolnshire

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Does seem strange!! In 1891 they have a daughter aged 9 born Boston - Mary F Salter

Comment

I wonder if she found her way into one of the family groups in the Heckington area though heaven knows why, and for some reason that lot changed the spelling just about every time it were written down, Gulson, Gullson, Gilson, Gullison. I have never linked them 100% to my lot but there was a well to do Goulson living in Heckington in the late 1700's and the family remain recorded in then area into the 1820's, Heckington isn't very far from Boston so maybe I might be onto something.

Oddly though, the bmd shows only around 500 records post 1837 and the surname tends to appear in places with ports, the main exception being the Marston/Grantham and Lincoln bunch so again Boston being a port town could be important.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I downloaded the Boston 1837 - 1911 transcriptions from here: http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/

That set of marriages doesn't seem to be there. That could mean that they are non-conformist, or that they are register office weddings.
                    These marriage indexes contain the names of bride and groom, their fathers, full date and the name of the parish. All information is transcribed from the parish registers deposited at the Lincolnshire Archives (registers that have not been deposited at Lincolnshire Archives are therefore not included). The indexes do not contain any Register Office marriages, and there are few non-conformist marriages at present. The marriage index is updated regularly as more records are transcribed - currently the period from 1850 to 1870 is being worked on.
                    See also here: http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/boston.htm
                    for info on exactly what's in the transcription set.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I keep forgetting about those records, have some tucked away on a stick somewhere and a couple of Grantham area cd's too. The non-conformist might be a clue, seems that a few Goulson marriages in Notts went that way though oddly several of the family were also church wardens at their respective parish churches. Blooming relatives!!!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

They've been increasing the date-ranges bit by bit. They used to go up only to 1850, but most go up to 1911 now.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                        X