Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of help required please

Hi

I am doing a bit of research for a family member, and at his dad we are already at a stumbling block!

Birth certificate of Graham James Crawford, born 1946 in farnborough registered in Bromley.

Father is ***** ***** Crawford occupation Master Builder
    Mother is Kathleen Rose Jones

both living in bromley and both register and sign the birth registration

Kathleen married Alfred Jones (no relation) 2 years later (no cert yet) and in the registers is "Crawford or Jones"

Alfred later adopted Graham

I cant find any marriages for Kathleen and James and so have no idea of age, or his parents. there are too many James H Crawford deaths but not around the Bromley or Kent area.

Any ideas?

Grahams wife has decided that because James listed himself as a Master Builder he must be 20 years older than Kathleen (born 1926ish, again no cert they have just decided that one in the registers is her because its in the right area. Ive tried explaining how it works but to no avail), however I know that just because he said he was doesnt actually mean he was

Please contact Lensgirl by PM to discuss any details about "living" names
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-04-11, 22:57. Reason: possible living name
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Where and when did Kathleen Rose Jones die please Robyne?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My immediate reading of the situation is that James Crawford and Kathleen Jones were not married to each other. Normally only one parent would register and witness a birth. Where two parents register a birth together, they are not married to each other.

"Crawford or Jones" just means she used the name Crawford.

OC

Comment

I agree with OC, probably not married. You need that second marriage certificate for her age and (hopefully) fathers name and occupation.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

sorry for the delay in replying. Kathleen only died at the beginning of the month, so im not worried about her (not yet anyway) we are trying to find ***** ***** Crawford. With no marriage im wondering whether we are now stuck

Please contact Lensgirl by PM to discuss any details about "living" names
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-04-11, 22:57. Reason: as for first post - possible living name
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Hi Robyne,

If we assume that Crawford the builder is over 21 , he would be in the electoral rolls. It might be worth trawling through them - perhaps starting with the address they gave on the birth cert. If you are lucky, he could still be living at home.

Have you thought of using telephone books and seeing if he remained in the area ? Ancestry has them on their site.

Good luck !

bcbrit
            George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Working...
            X