Hannah Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannah Harris

I am looking for the baptism of my Gt.Grandmother Hannah Harris. On the 1851 census she is stated as being born in Stepney about 1822. On the 1861 census, when her husband Joseph Underwood had died and she was living alone as a Widow, she gives
    her birthplace as Plymouth, Devon, this is the place I feel is correct because her father Edward was a sailor.

However, searches in both London and Devon have not revealed anything. This has been a problem I have had for many years and I return to it from time to time. Therefore as I now belong to the Forum I thought I would run it by you good people.

Some years ago I visited the Record Office in Dorchester and searched for her. However, my time there was limited and I did not find anything conclusive.

In 1851, when her husband was alive, the whole family is stated as being born in Stepney. In 1861 he had passed on and Hannah was in charge of her own life which makes me feel strongly about Devon.

Any help would be appreciated.

dreeny22:

Just a note to say I am not having much success but I have had a wee look.
    Are thee any more details?
    Do you have Hannah's mum's name? Have you found the family in 1841?
    Is Hannah about in later censuses?
    Sorry about all the questions but the more known the easier it will be to help.
    That said, some folk are just impossible to find - I have a fair few in my family.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Where did you find the marriage dreeny? I can't find a Joseph Enderwood marrying Hannah. I've found what I assume? is the birth of son Joseph Edward Underwood Sept 1845 St George in the East (which covered Stepney then) ref 2115.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I see that you have put a correction on Ancestry for John's christening! How do you know that it was Joseph's christening and not Johns' ?

Comment

Hannah & Joseph did not marry until 1852, after the births of the children. That one had me going for a while too.

Doreen

Comment

Have you considered Doreen that the children may not have been hers? I see that Joseph was 47, to Hannah's 29 in 1851. Perhaps he had been married before? Also, that marriage in Stepney in 1852 gives her name as Anne Harris, not Hannah. Have you got a birth certificate for the child that is your direct ancestor?

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
              Just a note to say I am not having much success but I have had a wee look.
              Are thee any more details?
              Do you have Hannah's mum's name? Have you found the family in 1841?
              Is Hannah about in later censuses?
              Sorry about all the questions but the more known the easier it will be to help.
              That said, some folk are just impossible to find - I have a fair few in my family.
              Hi,
              Yes, some people just will not be found, but I am like "a dog with a bone" on this one.

I have no idea who Hannah's mother was. I only know father from Marriage Certificates as she married twice. No, I have not found her in 1841 either here (London) or Devon. I have Hannah on the 1861 census, cannot find her as Anne Simmonds, as she then was, on 1871. I have found a possible death for her in 1872.

dreeny22

Comment

Yes, I have the Birth Certificate for Joseph Underwood, born 1845, my Gt.Grandfather. A lady I recently corresponded with is descended from his brother John and has his Birth Certificate stating Hanna Harris as the mother. Joseph Underwood snr died in 1859 aged 56yrs and Hannah Underwood is the informant... At the time of Joseph Underwood's death the family were living in Victory Row, Stepney. Close by, in Victory Row is a Richard Simmonds, widower, who I believe is the Richard Simmonds Anna married in 1870. I do not have the details to hand but remember searching around and from previous census traced his 1st wife and was able to locate her death. Her 2nd Marriage Certificate again gives her father as Edward Harris.

Comment

Working...
                X