Marriage hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage hunt?

I have a Sarah Wells christened in 1815 "Parish Records, St George, Hanover Square, Child Sarah Wells christened 27/11/1815 at St George's, Hanover Square. Her father Daniel, coachman living at Lancashire Court (behind New Bond Street)." In 1841/1851 census her mother is Sophia Hayes, born Middlesex living in Tunbridge Wells with a birth date c 1778. In many trees (copying) Sophia's maiden name is given as Hayes although she didn't marry him until 1826. Sophia's first spouse (or partner) is Daniels Wells with date of birth 1791(?) born in Wisborough Green, Sussex. Sophia has two other children James and Joseph born 1818 and 1819 (possibly). Joseph transported to Australia. I have not yet found a marriage for Daniel Wells and Sophia. Would it be possible for you lovely folk to see if you can see anything?

Secondly, I'm a little doubtful that this Daniel is the right Daniel. He seems a little young to be marriad to Sophia. Daniel must have died or disappeared (maybe Australia?) before 1826. There are a number of Daniel Wells in LMA but I haven't got a subscription and any of this info may help to exclude different Daniels.

If any of you can find any possible info that would help solve this mystery, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ayse; 19-04-11, 08:03. Reason: left out info

There's a burial for Daniel Wells in 1821.

St George Hanover Sq, buried 29 Jan 1821, address Lancashire Court, age 55, dob c 1766

The age fits better with Sophia. Perhaps you need to look for another baptism!
    Sue

Comment

James and Joseph Wells were both baptised on 6 April 1825 @ St George Hanover Sq. The record doesn't give dob nor does it say that the father is deceased.
      Sue

Comment

Hi Sue

Firstly the burial. Yes, those thoughts were mine in that the Daniel Wells attributed to our family may not be correct. Thus trying to find the marriage for Daniel and Sophia. My cousin went to look at the birth record for Sarah so I know that a Daniel Wells was the father. I too thought the one we had was too young.

Christening 1825. Does it say who the father may be?

Any more thoughts?

Comment

Sorry I should have made it clearer! The baptism record for James and Joseph gives the parents names as Daniel and Sophia.

I have a baptism in my tree where the father has died and it states that on the record but I don't think it means that Daniel was necessarily still around - just that the Vicar didn't record the fact!

I have found on the England and Wales Christening records (also on Family Search) the baptism in 1803 of an Amelia Wells to a Daniel and Sophia in St James Westminster. It might be the same family. Westminster St James records aren't on the LMA database as yet so there might be a marriage there. But I'm not finding a marriage anywhere, sorry.
          Sue

Comment

Hello there

Now, someone else also found this baptism. If Amelia is in the same family (I think it's a distinct possibility) then it beggs the question if there were anymore children between 1803 and 1809. It also suggests that indeed we do have the wrong Daniel as a 1791 would make him 12 at the time of Amelia's birth - not impossible but fairly implausible. I'm wondering if Daniel and Sophia worked for a wealthy family and they were living elsewhere between 1803 and 1809. Westminster, St James is a great find as maybe one day I will be able to have a look at these records. Thank you so much for having a good look for me.

Ayse

Comment

Daniel Wells

Hi

My Mum's great grandfather was Daniel's son James. James's sister Sarah married William Jones and I've been told that their brother Joseph went to India and then on to Australia.

The entry of James and Joseph's baptism (6th April 1825) at St George's Hanover Sq in Ancestry is from the Bishop's transcripts and doesn't give their ages but the original register has James born 24th Feb 1816 and Joseph 11th April 1819.

I was the original source of our Daniel Wells being from the Wisborough Green Wells family - I made that link about 20 years ago but now know I was wrong. I found our Daniel's burial on Ancestry last year and however much I looked at the age of 55 I couldn't make it read 33.

So we have to find where our Daniel Wells came from - as a coachman in London - he could have come from anywhere !

As his children's baptism was after Daniel's death the children I've been told could have been in the St George's Hanover Square work house orphanage. Maybe some more clue's there. The children weren't moved to where their father had settlement so perhaps Daniel was Middlesex born ??

Sue
              Last edited by slheys; 28-05-11, 22:27.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Sue! And great that you're able to clear up something like that right from the start!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes good to help answer a question - but I've had to lop off almost 150 years off my tree and it includes wills and marriage licences - and lost the feeling of belonging to an area of Sussex I live close to - sad.

Comment

Hello Sue.

I know we have been in touch before about Daniel etc.

So our Daniel was 55 years old at death, his birth c. 1766 which sounds much more plausible. The connection to the Wells family in Wisborough Green and the Lunn's is a red herring.

Whilst I was on GR I was contacted by Joseph's descendants in Australia about the connection to James Wells. They knew of James but not of Sophia. Apparently, Joseph was transported for sheep rustling. They did give me the name of the ship and info. about the descendants in Australia but I don't think I have it anymore as I didn't copy it from GR. They had worked back from current generation in Australia so that seems as certain as it could be.

I suspect it was me that thought the children were in the workhouse and I belive you told me about Daniel (father) being the coachman so I put the workhouse idea to one side. So we need a marriage for Daniel Wells and Sophia (somebody). As the census 1841 and 1851 suggest Sophia was born in Middlesex it could be a good place to start looking for a marriage. Unfortunately, as I live in the NE I'll have no chance of searching for anything down south until I retire.

Have to go now as it's past my bedtime but hopefully now we are in agreement about the most likely date for Daniel's birth.

Have a good bank holiday.

All the best

Comment

I'll have to amend my tree as well. I'm sad that you have lost the feeling of closeness but hopefully it will come back. Home is where the heart is, after all. Belonging for me is feeling at home. Good to be intouch again. Family is a great thing.

Comment

Hi
                        I will see what papers there are for St Georges' H.Sq. workhouse. I expect they are at Westminster RO. Which is where years ago I found James and Joseph's baptism - long before they were on Ancestry. Coincidently my sister has also "lost" a Wells on her husband's side so we hope to go Wells hunting this summer when she has broken up from school and I am officially an OAP.

Ta Ta for now Sue

Comment

Hi Sue.

Good luck with you hunt. I love to know the outcome, if that would be OK. Funny, my cousin has Wells in his family too. They are from Leicestershire - don't think they are anything to do with ours.

I have to wait until 2014 to retire. Can't wait as I'll be able to do much more of what I want to do. Have a good hunt

Bye for now

Comment

Working...
                          X