Emigrating from UK in 19th Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emigrating from UK in 19th Century

As some of you probably have seen I am looking for my g/ggmother who just disappeared in 1847.
    Her name was Sarah Croxson and was married to Edward Croxson. Shortly
    after his death in Sept 1847 she married Henry Churchyard (Dec 1847) and just disappeared. They do not appear on any subsequent census nor have I been able to find any evidence of them migrating.
    Adding to the suspicion that they left UK was the fact that her three young children were left in the Chelmsford Union workhouse, and eventually left that institution to lead useful lives.
    My question is - Was it possible in those days to just change your name and leave without any questions being asked ?
    It is the only explanation that I can come up in the search for Sarah and Henry,which probably means that they will never be found.
    David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Yes, the same as now. You can just change your name to whatever you want and so long as it's not for fraudulent/illegal purposes that's fine. I don't suppose anyone in the 1840's had anything to prove their identity so you were who you said you were!
    Have you tried tracing any Churchyard relatives to see if they know anything about Henry and what became of him.
    Margaret

Comment

I wonder if it would be worth tracking down the workhouse records? They might indicate what had happened to the parents. Most emigrating parents would have taken their children too I would have thought, rather than just abandon them.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I do remember that sometime after the parrntal marriage in 1847 the childrens grandfather was asked/requested/sued by the Chelmsford authorities
        to contribute to the childrens upkeep. I think it fair to say that the mother had done a runner with her new husband. If that was the case I would think
        it was a sad state of affairs.
        David

David

Comment

Sadly, people did abandon their children after a second marriage, and still do. Maybe they thought they would send for the children later, maybe Henry just said I don't want those children.
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I still haven't found out when the children were released from the workhouse. Incidentally Diane Sarah was 27 and her new husband only 17, I would
            think a little bit of immaturity there, but as I am on an open forum I won't pass on my full thoughts on what apparently happened. Nothing about this
            was ever said in our family and as my grandmother would have been aware of the events as her father was one of the children involved I would think
            it was a bit of a family scandal at the time.
            david

David

Comment

Working...
            X