LDS Centres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Centres

I've been labouring under the misapprehension that these could only be found in Britain, but there are over 50 in Germany, Unfortunately, it would cost about 20 pounds for each visit I wished to make (it's only for 2 hours on some afternoons, so I couldn't spend a whole day there....but maybe they offer the same service someone has told me of in Britain where you can rent items...unfortunately, you have to take them back in person)

Do you think it would be worth it or am I better off buying the stuff ?

Grey

You cannot remove any records or films from the centres unfortunately - you have to view them there. The "rent" bit just means that they order the records for you and you pay a rental fee in order to view them at the centre.

It is worth asking at the centre you wish to visit, whether you can have an extended appointment. My local one will arrange to this sometimes - it all depends on the goodwill of the volunteers of course.

OC

Comment

I do some voluntary work at our local FHC and I am not aware of the ability to rent items for research at home. I wonder if there has been a misunderstanding? The LDS can order films in for people to view at a FHC. There is a charge to cover postage and this is currently £7.50 per film. These are not allowed out of the FHC. These films are on loan from head office in Birmingham and I wonder if this is what you have been told? I am happy to be corrected by anyone who has been able to borrow the films for viewing at home.

If you are able to purchase transcripts on CD, these might be more value for money. I have found many times, that I need to view a film more than once, sometimes years later, when my tree expands. The latest cost of obtaining the films has meant we have far fewer people ordering them as many people find purchasing CDs (if the parishes you require are available) is more cost effective.

Comment

Thanks, folks....yes I had misunderstood that about renting them.

Comment

Where I live we are a long way from an LDS Centre but I enquired of my local library and they have an arrangement with the LDS to borrow the films to view at the library. In my case the local library doesn't have a microfiche reader but the local museum does so that's where I was told I would be viewing.
          It might be worth while asking your local library if the are part of the same loan scheme arrangements.
          Margaret

Comment

Thank you very much, Margaret......always worth asking

Comment

Working...
            X