Robert Welsh WW1 records help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Welsh WW1 records help

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me with a look up for my brother in law. We spent the afternoon looking up his side and came across -

Robert Welsh born circa 1893 in Stirling Scotland. I found his death listed as 29th October 1916 and he is buried in France. Through the Commonwealth War Graves website I found out he served with the 5th Battalion Cameronian Rifles and his service number was 201680.

I also know he is buried at Thiepual Memorial in France but wondered if anyone could look to see if his service record and medal index card are on Ancestry as I no longer have access.

Many thanks

Steven

The only one I can see is this:-
    Robert Welsh
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
    Age at enlistment: 24
    Residence: 30 Commerce, Glasgow
    Document Year: 1917
    Regiment Name: RE In Wate??
    Number of images: 35

The record shows a wife Mary, but the images are only fragments so the information is difficult to read.
    Margaret

Comment

His medal index card is on Ancestry, showing two regimental nos. of 201680 and 468
      Shows he was with the Scottish Rifles and was awarded the Victory and British medals.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Margaret much appreciated and thanks Elaine really kind of you both

Steven

Comment

He is not buried at the Thiepval Memorial but named on a panel there as having no known grave. Soldiers Died in the Great War records him as being born in Perth. A Robert Welsh was born in Perth in 1889.

Comment

Thanks Highland Ranger much appreciated

Steven

Comment

Working...
            X